Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all Alfaholics!
It's time to change front pads on my 1991 164B.
Can someone give an advice about:

1. Where I can get the most inexpensive front brake pads. I would like to order them on internet. I will change them myself to save money, so the price aspect is crucial (I am just a poor student).
2.Due to the fact that this item is not available in Car Parts stores, I was wondering may be there are substitutes from other cars (like Saab for example).
3.I have about 3-4 different brake pads and it could have happened that I already have them. Do someone have a picture of the front brake pads, so I can compare.

Thanks for reading it and thanks for your advice.
Respectfully,
Serge

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I just did a ten second internet search and found a set for $15.95 @ Kragen auto.com. You probably won't get them any cheaper than that. I have a set of Lucas pads I may be willing to sell cheap, here's the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't remember what I paid for them, I bought them a few years ago on Ebay England. I'll sell both front and back for $40.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I kind of want to sell them as a set, so it may just be better ordering from Rock Auto or Kragen.com. Rock Auto has about ten or twelve sets listed and Kragen maybe seven.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the site you gave me and the cheapest ones are more than $35.
Is it possible for you to give me the link?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah you're right, they list rears first. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AlfaTango1, I understand that we are not on marketplace, but we are talking about Italian car, so we assume we are in Italy and Italians like to bargain (thats what I have noticed when I was there). How about $40 for your front and rear including shipping (priority flat rate is around $5)? Sorry, for that, but when you are in college, every dollar matters. If yes, give me your pay pal address and I will send money immediately.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I would not bargain them down anymore, thats a good price. Also a good way to make enemies on the BB unless they are cool with it. Consider the full cost being a good Samaritan as use of the BB more then pays for itself. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There you go, you found some cheap pads. Not Lucas, but I'm sure they'll stop you. Now to dust off my copy of "The Prince" and see the context of your insult.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,808 Posts
Well, are we sure all the different pads for various prices are of the same quality? A lot of thought and testing goes into the pad material formulation.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Well, are we sure all the different pads for various prices are of the same quality? A lot of thought and testing goes into the pad material formulation.
I would have to say no on that Del. Just like anything else cheap, they don't do the job as well as a premium product and the consumer ends up having to purchase the same item over and over due to low quality. Although the pad is $15-20 per set, you will have less braking performance, more dust, and the pad will wear much faster as well as eat at the rotor more than a premium pad. So all in all your saving a few bucks but in the long run spending more.
The lowest price pad I would ever offer is $89 per set. But then again I have had them on for about 3 years, no dust at all, and rotors are barely worn not to mention fantastic stopping. These inexpensive pads may stop you but under extreme situations where the rotor heats up more, the pad will show it's true colors.

Spend money on pads! Better in the long run. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Exactly, I for one would not put a $7.25 pad on a car I was driving. I know the kevlar/ceramic Axxis UTX pads are good but cost quite a bit. The $29.00 set listed above would cause me concern. I always say when your car doesn't start that's bad but when it doesn't stop that's REAL bad.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I agree with Jason!

There are two things I will not skimp on with my cars, tires and brakes. These are the two items that can save your bacon in an emergency! It doesn't matter if the car is worth $200K or $200, it's your life you're talking about. How much did you save if your "cheap" pads meant you required an additional 10 feet to stop, but you only had five?

Buy good pads, even if it means you have to skimp somewhere else!

·
Registered
112 Posts
brake pads

I also agree with the others. I use only brand name brake pads such as Ferodo, Mintex, Axxis etc, and I buy only from reputable supplier. International Auto has some reasonable priced oem spec pads.
I think we all found from our experience that the 164 is not a cheap car to maintain. While you can probabley find a good used 164 for a low price, the preventive maintenance is going cost you. Things like changing the timing belt, tensioner, control arms etc absolutely needs to be done at defined intervals. Skimp on these and your car will take revenge on you! No offence intended but if your budget for a set of front pads is under $50, you may find it growingly difficult to keep your 164 in running (or safe) condition.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
How about these semi-metallic ones:
Brake Performance - Brake Pads
No name brand, no real pictures of the product which tells me they may not even stock it. Probably not very good either. Minute amounts of metal in there and larger particles will not be as good and they can call it metallic. Mostly organic and will not handle the heat that the 164 brakes put out. Don't forget this car weights 3300lbs

I have some inexpensive pads like AXXIS for around $58 for front set and $39 for rears.
Good metallic pad.
Let me know?
Jason

1 - 19 of 19 Posts