Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested in the Giulia at Chequered Flag in Marina Del Rey, CA but am not local. I'd like to setup a PPI before I travel down there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for reputable shops that I can contact?

EDIT: I've already searched the forums, but some of the recommendations are either too far or not in business anymore so I thought I would ask for an up-to-date answer.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Yeah, with the closing of Omega Motorsports it seems like there are few options on the LA Westside. Here's one possible lead; not a recommendation because I have not actually done business with them: Star Autosport (https://starautosport.com) on Sepulveda in West LA, about 5 miles from Marina Del Rey. I know of them only because I drove by one Saturday, saw a nice GTV parked in front, and stopped to chat. They seem legit, have a clean and professional looking shop, and are car enthusiasts. They work on quite a range of older sports and sporty cars. Probably not inexpensive; maybe worth a call.

Logan

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
This car was for sale at Monza Motors in Sherman Oaks for a long time (on ebay), then someone in Santa Barbara owned it briefly, offered it for sale here on the BB. Perhaps someone else here saw it in person and can help out? So you might do some poking around as to the specific car here on the BB. I pitched it to a ton of folks when it was at Monza (for $18,000) as looking like a pretty fair deal, judging just from the pics. But no one bit.

Andrew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the inspection done a couple days ago at Star Autosport. I'm going to post it here or in the classifieds section to help get input on the results.

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
What are your questions?
Oil leaks are pretty common, but shouldn't be extreme. Donut and clutch job could be done at the same time, price varies but I'd think $1200. Would need to see pics of the rust under the radiator area(common) and damage to rear body area. Any car from Europe, unless was kept always in a controlled garage, will typically have had rust and/or rust repair somewhere.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
If there's any vibration or booming at speed, can be driveshaft related and when the donut etc is replaced is the time to check the driveshaft, u-joints, center bearing, balance and straightness. This is an Achilles heel of 105 Alfas.

Andrew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately the car is back at the dealer so someone would have to go there to find out more.

The inspecting mechanic said he only drove it around the block a few times and thought it was pretty good, but I'm not sure about higher speeds. Leaks and minor electrical stuff is fine but my main concerns were the donut, clutch, and body work. If the first two are in that price range I'm ok with that.

The body damage is more of an unknown for me. My understanding (very limited) about cracking filler/paint is typically caused by a couple things. One is that the prep work was poor and just won't last. The other is that the work was fine, but an additional accident introduced new stress on the repaired parts and caused it to crack. The mechanic thought it was the former. Either is bad in my opinion because if I attempt to start getting it fixed I could discover much worse.

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
No pics of the specific area? As I say, I'd expect any car from Europe to have had rust repair at some point. If long ago, quality work, not "blooming through" the paint, no problem. If work is recent and/or otherwise visibly shows issues, more detective work is needed. Did they look at the floors, rockers, truck floor, lower fenders, door bottoms? Good bondo work can hide a world of ills for a time. Not saying that's the case here but it's nice to know how old the paint is, etc.

Just a guess on the clutch cost. Home mechanics can do it for the cost of parts, a couple hundred bucks. Hourly rates in the Bay Area are $125 and up, I'd assume same in LA. If 8 hours' work, that's $1000 in labor.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
What Andrew said. I'd certainly suggest getting confirmation from Star that they checked for hidden/structural rust. (And I hope that lead turns out OK for you.)

Probably not a big help, but back around April 2019 in the "Wanted Alive: A Giulia" thread, there's a link to a review of the car when it was at Monza Motors in Sherman Oaks, and that contains a link to Monza's listing with lots of photos. Most of the photos show the shiny bits and not potential rust areas, but there is one photo of the inside of the spare tire well showing a couple of crude looking patches. Not necessarily a deal breaker in and of itself, but that tends to confirm that rust repair was done at some point.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Omega Motorsports moved to Lawndale, CA which is fifteen miles south of their old Culver City location. The problem with buying any old Alfa is the condition of the body. The rust and accident damage are a real concern when buying an old car.

·
Out of the office!
11,295 Posts
That PPI doesn't really have much information. I would be pretty ticked off if I spent nearly $300 for a report like that. Did the "inspector" supply any pictures?

With these old cars the most important thing is the condition of the body/paint/repairs. Anything mechanical can be fixed and made to be like new again for reasonable money. Anything related to the body can be a can of worms. That could mean tens of thousands of dollars. Without striping the car, no one can guess the cost of those repairs.

Mechanical work is a completely different thing. The costs of doing mechanical repairs is something that is easy to estimate.

I think it would be a good idea for you to have a budget. How much are you willing to spend on the car? And, how much are you willing to spend on necessary repairs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No pics of the specific area? As I say, I'd expect any car from Europe to have had rust repair at some point. If long ago, quality work, not "blooming through" the paint, no problem. If work is recent and/or otherwise visibly shows issues, more detective work is needed. Did they look at the floors, rockers, truck floor, lower fenders, door bottoms? Good bondo work can hide a world of ills for a time. Not saying that's the case here but it's nice to know how old the paint is, etc.

Just a guess on the clutch cost. Home mechanics can do it for the cost of parts, a couple hundred bucks. Hourly rates in the Bay Area are $125 and up, I'd assume same in LA. If 8 hours' work, that's $1000 in labor.

Andrew
Nothing specific and I can't get more pictures. I have to call the shop back to ask more questions.

That PPI doesn't really have much information. I would be pretty ticked off if I spent nearly $300 for a report like that. Did the "inspector" supply any pictures?

With these old cars the most important thing is the condition of the body/paint/repairs. Anything mechanical can be fixed and made to be like new again for reasonable money. Anything related to the body can be a can of worms. That could mean tens of thousands of dollars. Without striping the car, no one can guess the cost of those repairs.

Mechanical work is a completely different thing. The costs of doing mechanical repairs is something that is easy to estimate.

I think it would be a good idea for you to have a budget. How much are you willing to spend on the car? And, how much are you willing to spend on necessary repairs?
There is a dropbox link above with some pictures from the inspector. He provided some more comments over the phone, but you're right that there is more detail needed. I didn't want to be into it for more than 25-30K. On the surface, this looked like a good driver which is exactly what I was looking for. I expected some mechanical work, but I'm not prepared to do significant body work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm probably leaning towards passing on this unless the inspector really comes through or I get a killer deal on it. This car has so many unknowns, especially because there are no records or documents with it. Investigating remotely with a so-so PPI also makes this hard.

·
Premium Member
21,212 Posts
The market price for a decent 1300 TI in the US is I think $17500-20000. That's a ballpark. Many are modified to look and act like higher variants, but this is a pretty stock car, which is nice. If you end up at $30,000 you could have bought a 1600 Super. I advise buying the best Giulia you can find, on condition, and worry about the spec later, which is easy and relatively cheap, compared to bodywork, to alter.

Regardless, good luck.
Andrew

·
Out of the office!
11,295 Posts
I'm probably leaning towards passing on this unless the inspector really comes through or I get a killer deal on it. This car has so many unknowns, especially because there are no records or documents with it. Investigating remotely with a so-so PPI also makes this hard.

Not to be rude, but you're not that far away.

The PPI is really poor. There's not a lot of information and the pictures are poor quality.

Sedans are extremely common. Follow your instincts on this one. Another will pop up before you know it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The market price for a decent 1300 TI in the US is I think $17500-20000. That's a ballpark. Many are modified to look and act like higher variants, but this is a pretty stock car, which is nice. If you end up at $30,000 you could have bought a 1600 Super. I advise buying the best Giulia you can find, on condition, and worry about the spec later, which is easy and relatively cheap, compared to bodywork, to alter.

Regardless, good luck.
Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. This helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts