Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello Bob,

Thanks for all the help.

As I said, I'm not experienced when it comes to electrical work, but I can follow instructions.

Thank you for continuing to think about this for me and for all of us.

I have ordered a 10 pack of relays and connectors $30, delivered!. I am sure I will find uses for any extras.:p

I must say, I have studied those schematics for quite a while, and getting somewhat comfortable with them, but I will still be calling you. :p

I am starting to get excited about this!

Vin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Vin,

Please make sure you use the last posts attachement, while you were responding I updated the attachment. Removed a note from figures 3 and 4.

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
Your last question, are 4 relays really needed, caused me to think a little more and yes you can reduce the number of relays.
Bob: I believe the problem can be solved with just two relays, which reduces the wiring quite a bit. One question though: When you wrote:

"With the stock power window setup, when you press the drivers side raise window button in the center console the switch provides 12 volts to the drivers side power window motor via the Yellow wire, the Yellow/Black wire is connected to ground. When the drivers side lower window button in the center console switch is pressed the switch provides 12 volts to the drivers side power window motor via the Yellow/Black wire, in this case the ground is provided via the Yellow wire."

I assume this means that when the window power switch is in neither the "raise" or "lower" position, that both the Y and the Y/B wires are either at ground or floating. In that case, 2 relays will do it. Let me know if you want to see a schematic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Alfajay,

Yes when neither button is pressed, both the Yellow and Yellow/Black wires are grounded.

And yes if you have a 2 relay solution please share it, simpler is always better.

Bob

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
a silly question perhaps.......let's say the passenger window is down (as going up is always slower, it seems, as is the passenger window, hence this particular choice!):

.....to which wires inside the door would one join direct power from a 12v car battery to make it go back up?...........so one could actually check, if direct power is quicker or not (if it isn't, relays wouldn't really help...or....?)

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
Here is my two relay solution. Note that I reversed the labeling of the wires coming from the motor; that is, yellow wires from the motor and switch are both on the left side of my schematic, yellow/black wires both on the right side.

When the window switch is in the "raise" position, only the relay on the left is energized, which applies +12V to the yellow lead to the motor through that relay's normally open contacts. The motor's Y/B lead is connected to ground through the normally closed contacts of the relay on the right.

When the window switch is in the "lower" position, the opposite connections are made.

I believe that the two diodes do provide benefit, even though no solid-state components are used. They should eliminate arcing from the motor's back EMF which would otherwise oxidize the relay contacts, creating resistance. This is probably why the switch degrades over time. But since Vintre buys his relays by the ten pack, maybe their lifespan isn't so important. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alfajays solution is better than the versions I posted since it only requires 2 relays per side, very nice.

To answer spiderserie4's question perform the following steps:
1. Remove the inside drivers side door panel.
2. Disconnect the connector with the Yellow and Yellow/Black wire from the connector coming from the motor. This is accessable via a hole on eh inside of the door near the mirror.
3. Connect the batery directly to the motor side of the connector which no longer has the Yellow and Yellow/Black wired connector. If you connect the battery positive to the connector pin that was connected to the Yellow wire and the batery negative to the other pin, the window will go up. Reverse teh 2 battery connections and it will go down.

For a picture see the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Thanks alfarobert........I'll try that next time I have the panel off!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow! This is great collaboration!

4 relays!

3 relays!

2 relays!

Who can do it in 1 relay?!:p

Vin

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 86 quad windows are slow as molasses. And wiring diagrams look like chineese writing to me. Hope someone posts pics of the process.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My 86 quad windows are slow as molasses. And wiring diagrams look like chineese writing to me. Hope someone posts pics of the process.
Hi Chizel,

If I do this (most likely will) I will definitely post pictures. Won't be for a month or so as its Winter up here and the garage is cold! :eek:

Vin

·
Registered
173 Posts
window wiring

this seems to be mostly Spiders in here. I assume this will be a similar case for the GTV6's out there with similar issues with motor/window speed.

is this also applicable to the gawd awful slow wiper motors too? maybe i should inspect the motors for needed lubrication/grease before playing with my 27 year old wiring in an Italian car (most of the wiring is or was working well until recently anyway) -she sat for a while with PO and with me for 4 months or so before got it running normally (now my DD) :)

the clock (minute hand anway) is wonky too, but i think the arm just dislodged from the connection point. Second hand sweeps well, and hour seems to be "keeping time" the minute is just swinging in the wind, and with each turn due to cintrifical force -:)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
this seems to be mostly Spiders in here. I assume this will be a similar case for the GTV6's out there with similar issues with motor/window speed.

is this also applicable to the gawd awful slow wiper motors too? maybe i should inspect the motors for needed lubrication/grease before playing with my 27 year old wiring in an Italian car (most of the wiring is or was working well until recently anyway) -she sat for a while with PO and with me for 4 months or so before got it running normally (now my DD) :)

the clock (minute hand anway) is wonky too, but i think the arm just dislodged from the connection point. Second hand sweeps well, and hour seems to be "keeping time" the minute is just swinging in the wind, and with each turn due to cintrifical force -:)
AFAIK the only reliable mod for the slow wipers is to clean and relube the bearings inside the scuttle. They are prob old and dried out grease by now. Don't expect a great improvement though. Hmmmm, I guess I should think of doing that as well to my 87 Quad. There was a posting sometime ago about a BMW wiper motor substitution but have not read anything about it in a long time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Vintre, where did you source your window channels, etc? I've only been able to find the external scrapers so far, from Centerline.

Thanks!
Don

SS4,

Thanks for the read.

I have purchased all of the felts for the door, channels, scrapers, etc. and will be replacing those first to see if it makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, then I will be trying the direct power/relays.

I do think that adding the direct power will make a huge difference, but lets see.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Vintre, where did you source your window channels, etc? I've only been able to find the external scrapers so far, from Centerline.

Thanks!
Don
Don,

I will take a look tonite, but pretty sure I got all of them from IAP.

BTW, I replaced the power window motors and wiring with the more modern, but expensive, motors and tracks from Mr. Fiat.

They work great! But like I said, a little expensive. I had a weak moment (but dont regret it :wink2:)

Vin

·
Registered
283 Posts
Vin, cool, thanks. I'll take a stab at degreasing, cleaning, relubing and maybe even relay-izing mine before I do that. I'll see how it goes.

Don,

I will take a look tonite, but pretty sure I got all of them from IAP.

BTW, I replaced the power window motors and wiring with the more modern, but expnesive, motors and tracks from Mr. Fiat.

They work great! But like I said, a little expensive. I had a weak moment (but dont regret it :wink2:)

Vin

21 - 36 of 36 Posts