Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side window on my spider came off of the track and started binding on Monday. The passenger side hasnt been right since i bought the car. The window would role too far up if you werent really careful and rattled.

I pulled the door panels off and found the drivers side cable very dirty and the window was out of the guide. After cleaning with teflon silicone lubricant spray and pushing the window back in, it worked great.

The passenger side had the cable off a pulley, and had bound around the drum on the regulator. The rubber washers that go through the glass also rotted and the rubber stops for upward motion had slipped down. I had to pull the regulator out and untangle the cable. Not fun. Then I kept pressure on it while i wound it all the way in the down position. I put the window back in and replaced the rrubber washers with some i cut by hand from a sheet of rubber gasket material.

I took a couple pictures. One of the pannel showing the position of the screws to get the pannel off. Two are located behind the triangle trim piece that has to be pryed out of the arm rest. The third in the arm rest is under the chrome strip of trim that is removed in the pic it's about 3/8 inch across and fits in the channel. I need to source some. There is a black trim piece on the door handle with a screw under it as well. The others are in the open and easy to find. Once all the screws are off, there are four metal clips that pull from holders when pulled straight out and encouraged with a screwdriver slid between the panel and door. The upper vinyl covered trim panel unscrews then lifts out of four clips straight up, again screwdriver helped encourage it to let go.

My trim looked and was attached differently than the one in the car disk manual, and the cable routing was slightly different as well. That's because my car is an 83 manufacture and 84 model year build I think. The other pic shows the panel off and the location of the three screws holding the regulator in. It did come out of the door without having to separate the motor from the regulator... but barely. Last pics show the cable clamp through the glass with rubber washers and stop and the regulator with the cable properly wound... as opposed to it overlapping and binding between the pulley and sheetmetal like it was.

There was a good thread that helped get this done, found with power window as a search term, but it was a royal pita. I'd rather do motor mounts than that regulator again.

Just thought someone may find it useful info.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
You wrote that you made replacement rubber washers that protect the sides of the glass from the window lift cable clamps. I am doing the same on my 1987 Spider QV. Fabricating the washers is not an issue. However, did you also replace the rubber seal that actually is fitted inside each of the two round holes in the window glass? When I disassembled the cable clamp brackets, I was under the impression that these rubber washers are/should be a type of grommet. Is this an incorrect assumption?
Greetings to Central Florida (graduated from Colonial High in Orlando in 1974) from Sicily and France,

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wrote that you made replacement rubber washers that protect the sides of the glass from the window lift cable clamps. I am doing the same on my 1987 Spider QV. Fabricating the washers is not an issue. However, did you also replace the rubber seal that acutally is fitted inside each of the two round holes in the window glass? When I disassembled the cable clamp brackets, I was under the impression that these rubber washers are/should be a type of grommet. Is this an incorrect assumption?
Greetings to Central Florida (graduated from Colonial High in Orlando in 1974) from Sicily and France,
I don't remember for sure, but I believe that the inserts were reused and the red rubber washers sandwiched them on either side. I will check for additional pics and reply if I find one that shows the answer.

Best,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts