Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had some bodywork done a while ago, my passenger window controls are reversed. When I push the up button the window goes down and it goes up when I push the down button. I reversed the wires at the power motor but it didn't correct the problem. The wires that go to the buttons don't appear to have be altered in any way. Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hope someone has any ideas how to solve this problem, because in my spider from 1991 i have the same problem.

I bought the car with this problem, and uptill now i have not tried to repair it.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Not the only ones

Here's a thread that has the same problem.

Fairly recently too.

I bumped it to the top and to the posting members to see if there has been a resolution.

Working backwards

Good luck.

Vin

·
Administrator
17,379 Posts
Why not remove the switch from the console (leaving the wiring intact) and turn it around? Now the down button will make the window go down and the up button will make the window go up. (they are just arrows, correct?) On our '84 Spider the switch assembly can be easily pried out of the square hole.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
No workie, Eric. It's only one window. Besides, then the buttons would be on the wrong sides.

I'm kind of amazed that swapping the wires at the motor didn't work. You *sure* you swapped them and didn't just put them back in the same place? That's the type of thing I'd mess up...I'd pull them off and then forget which is which.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean take the switch apart? Because if I just turn the switch as a unit over in the console, the driver window is reversed and the controls are then transposed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was careful to definitely reverse the wires at the motor. But it makes sense that the problem is in the wiring closer to the motor than the switch because the body shop removed the doors. Is there another connection to check other than inside the door?

·
Administrator
17,379 Posts
The later S3 (& S4) switches must be quite different than the early S3 switches. Pehaps you have the Austalian switches...?

Perhaps the body shop messed with the wires where they pass from door jamb to the door. There should be an accordian style rubber boot there. I wonder if they cut wires and then patched them together bass-ackwards?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Hi Jay,

I am curious if you have figured this one out yet?

Vin

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes.
There are 3 connectors.
The black plastic connector (inside the door) was the problem. It was connected correctly based on the little plastic notch, so I rotated and reconnected (it fits okay) and now the buttons are in sync with the window action.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you wanted to correct that plug, grab you a straightened paper clip or small straight tip jewelers screwdriver.

Looking at the face of the offending plug you'll see the larger rectangles where the connectors are, and on one side of each of those, a small notch.
Put your tool in the notch til it bottoms, then while applying slight pushing then pulling tension on the wire wiggle the tool and/and or lever the tip toward the connector.
Done properly the lock tab on the terminal end will be depressed and the wire with end will come loose from the plug housing.

Do both, then reinstall in the correct positions making sure that (1) you bend the lock tab outward a bit so that it can lock again and (2) you get the side of the terminal with the tab toward the side of the plug hole that has the receiver notch for the lock tab.

There's pix around here somewhere if my description is too vague.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tifosi!
I just easily switched the wires in the plug as you described.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
17,379 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
BTW,
If tyou ever have to R and R an ignition switch out of the steering column (at least on an S3), you have to employ this method of releasing the wires out of their plastic connectors in order to feed the switch wireing through the column. There is room to remove the wires individually but not enough room to feed the plastic connectors through the hole. This is a definate 'must write down the wire colors and their matching connectors first" situation as it is very easy to forget which wire goes to which connector.

Robert Hill in Memphis, Tn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts