Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver side window is down and won’t come up. There is voltage to the yellow and black wire when the down button is pressed but no nothing to the yellow wire when the up button is pressed. Any suggestions?
Tom

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
Most likely it is the switch. If the passenger side window works properly, try swapping the switches.

There are threads in the Spider section about getting inside the switches to clean the contacts. What model year is your Spider?

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Most likely it is the switch. If the passenger side window works properly, try swapping the switches.

There are threads in the Spider section about getting inside the switches to clean the contacts. What model year is your Spider?
I second this. Plus if you swap switches and it works you know that's the problem.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It’s a 1991. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses, however — I pulled the switch out, turned it 180 degrees and plugged it into the wiring harness (not fully as it is designed to only fit one way) and pushed the buttons. The passenger side (right) worked fine using the normally driver sided switch while the other switch didn’t budge the driver side window. So, the switchs appear to be good on both sides.

I’m up for any more good ideas.
Tom

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
so switch is good...must be a wiring issue
with door open, operate the switch whilst wiggling the rubber accordian that protects the wires going into the door. (or swing door open/close whilst operating the switch)
sometimes a wire can shear inside that accordian.

only other thing I can think of is remove the door card and apply power direct to connector to test motor.
55-10 Power Window Device.jpg

Do you need a wiring diagram for your car?
If so I can send a pdf to your conversations box, let me know.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like it could be the wires inside the rubber thingy between the door post and door. The wires take real abuse inside of that dynamic protector. Its easy to take off, just pry the ends from their place on the door and post. If the wires look worn, you'll need to take the door card off and detach speaker, mirror and window wires to get the protector off and repair the wires. Usually its the driver's side that wears first, since its the commonly used door.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
If the window is down and won't go up, it is may not have anything to do with the switch or the wiring, but the cabling around the winder spool (tangled) or the glass holding bolts have come loose instead. I suggest you remove the driver's door panel (the Alfa Shop Manual is pretty good about describing all the screws and clips used and the order in which to remove them), and using a flashlight, examine the cable takeup reel and the two bolts that clamp the cables to the window. If you've removed a door panel once, the next time only takes about 10 minutes. If nothing mechanical in the door seems out of place, you can unplug the motor cable and try jumpering it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
so switch is good...must be a wiring issue
with door open, operate the switch whilst wiggling the rubber accordian that protects the wires going into the door. (or swing door open/close whilst operating the switch)
sometimes a wire can shear inside that accordian.

only other thing I can think of is remove the door card and apply power direct to connector to test motor.
View attachment 1617221

Do you need a wiring diagram for your car?
If so I can send a pdf to your conversations box, let me know.
I agree with the wires through the door. My mechanic said this is a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts