Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My copy of the Cardisk shop manual for a 91 Spider came with a handwritten change to the fuse amperage for the power windows (fuse #1). As originally printed, the factory indicated that a 25 amp fuse was to be used. However, the handwritten change indicates a 30 amp fuse. I can't find any reference to a 30 amp fuse for the windows in any of the included technical service bulletins, either. Do any of you know if the factory really upped the amperage for the power windows? Many thanks -- before I smoke the wiring into the doors. David

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, I did see that bulletin, GHNL. The 91 service manual seems to incorporate it by stating that the proper fuse is a 25 amp. Would it hurt anything to keep the 25 amp fuse? Or, would it hurt to use a 30 amp fuse on the assumption the Cardisk folks knew what they were doing when they scratched out "25" and hand-wrote "30 amp" for the #1 fuse? What, by the way, is the benefit of using a higher amperage fuse for the windows, anyway?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The benefit of using a higher amp fuse is that you get to buy a new fire extinguisher after you use your current extinguisher to put out the fire! Fuses are used to protect the wiring, not the load. If the wiring is not rated for 30 amps, installing a 30 amp fuse is NOT advised.
Cardisc acquires manuals from various sources which are then scanned to make a CD. I doubt that Cardisc changed the amp rating from 25 to 30.
I'll check the 93-95 TSB book when I get home tonight and report back.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I checked two TSB books, 1977-1992 and 1993-1995, and the only reference to a power window fuse is the 1989 TSB posted above that ups the amperage from 20 to 25 for 1986 and newer. In addition, both original copies of the 1991 Spider service manual pub# PA4466 I have list the window fuse as 25 amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts