Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever looked into or thought of creating a connection from the engine to the transmission. In the Corvette, the new Alfa 8C, and probably more, they create a solid connection from the engine in the front to the trans located in the rear.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
An actual torque tube would have to be very small in diameter unless you decided to undertake major tunnel mods. Then there is the centre bearing mount to contend with.
I believe the Mazda MX5 (Miata to those who drive on the rong side of the car :p) used some sort of long arm/rod/brace to link the engine/gearbox to the diff. Don't quote me on that tho.
What are the actual bennifits of a torque tube:confused: Obviously they are used for a reason, but why?
If a rigid torque tube could be implimented, it would deffinately elliminate any engine/trans missalignment issues that wreck the guibo's :cool:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
porsche's use em too and there a HUGE PITA!!!

on the alfa's youde have some HUGE work to do to even get one to fit let alone work....shifter and linkage would have to be removed and swaped to inside the car or switched to cable..the center joint would be removed and installed inside the tube...clearance for installing and removeing the tube as well as major tunnel surgery and connection points on the transaxle and engine

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Barn Find - Alfetta driveshafts!

So I heard this from a guy who knows somebody who owns an Alfetta:

A guy inherited some property with a locked barn.
When he breaks open the lock inside he finds a collection of transaxle Alfas.
All with a new type driveline that is made with 3 u-joints and simple aluminum tubes. The driveline comes with documentation that they do not get out of balance and all parts can be bought at any local auto parts store.
Imagine that.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If you could use a torque tube, why bother with a 2 piece tailshaft?
Does anybody know the bennifit of having a torque tube compared to the Alfa design?
The only advantage I can see is much better engine to transmission alignment :confused:
It would allow someone game enough to elliminate the rear engine mount and maybe the front transmission mounts.
After doing a net search I found the Mazda MX5 does use a gearbox to diff brace, but again, why is it used?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
even with a tube you could NOT lose your mounts or youd get yourself into a world of trouble

ill never understand the want/need or use of a torque tube..it was used in the 1910-1930's and lost for a long time

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Did Ferrari use them on their front engine/rear 'box cars?
I know that some of the more serious Sports Sedan race cars that get thrashed around here in Oz tend to use them with the likes of Hewland transaxles and typically a 6ltr Chev V8 cranking out some serious HP.
Unfortunately it's a lot of work to just suck it and see :rolleyes:, so I don't think there will be to many direct comparisons :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if a "tube" would be the way to implement it but maybe a brace that runs on the opposite side as the shift linkage. From what i understand the benefits are less driveline flex, less engine and transmission movement, quicker power delivery (all the mounts bing compressed for both trans and engine). I would imagine that it would also take some of the strain off of the guibos because they aren't under as much flex only rotational torques.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have been looking in to a torque tube set up. I would like to take the tube and trany out of a vett and use that. Reading on it, the torque tube has ton advantages. The cost seems to be the only negatave.
you would not want to use a CV or a U in one as they have no angles. and a CV/U need some angle or they go bad very fast.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have been looking in to a torque tube set up. I would like to take the tube and trany out of a vett and use that. Reading on it, the torque tube has ton advantages. The cost seems to be the only negatave.
you would not want to use a CV or a U in one as they have no angles. and a CV/U need some angle or they go bad very fast.
The pictures of Corvette torque tubes and tailshafts that I found on the 'net showed they use a rubber coupling at the transaxle end and probably 1 at the engine aswell.
I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get the big diameter 'vette tube in an Alfa, but a smaller diameter custom made 1 with a 1 piece tailshaft like those used on the 'vette would be doable.
I still believe that standard Alfa guibo's could be used. Even with some substancial power/torque loadings, the engine to transmission alignment would (should) always be spot on and keep the tailshaft angular misalignment that destroys the guibo's, well and truly under control.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ive owned a lot of peugeot cars all of which had torque tubes. Most peugeots have the body dropped down on the engine/drive train at manufacture. Cant do that with alfa chassis. I suspect this might be the primary reason for not using torque tubes. Just takes to long to assemble a torque tube system in the car.
-TomP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts