Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the feed hose and high pressure hose on my 91 164S. I turned the car on to warnm it up and things seemed fine. After a few minutes it started to make a ni=osie I suspect the pump I don't see any leaking but will investigate further. I was also getting some smoking coming up from the passenger side of the engine which may be indicative of a leak. When the power steering fluid is drained is it necessary to bleed the system or something other than putting fluid back in. Terry

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am beginning to think the power steerring pump packed it in. I turned the car on again and i do see some drops coming from behind the pump pulley and the power steering is not working. Terry

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The supply hose to the pump is usually tied down at the steering rack. This creates a low spot and air can trap in the upward loop going to the pump. The pump will not work if it cannot get rid of the the trap air (although often it can force the air through with the help of gravity on fluid from the reservoir). Try loosen the supply line connection at the pump and let the air out (if there's any).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well finally have the power steering working. Had to go get a second pump. A friend gave me one off his parts car for free. I cleaned it up and put it on. Overall it works but it seems that at low rpm the power steering gets real heavy. I am thinking that I don't have the belt tight enough. I am letting things coold down before taking the wheel off and getting back in there. I beleieve the adjustment method is to loosen the three screws that attach the pump to the engine and use a screw driver or lever to tighten like a alternator and them secure the screws. Terry

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Well finally have the power steering working. Had to go get a second pump. A friend gave me one off his parts car for free. I cleaned it up and put it on. Overall it works but it seems that at low rpm the power steering gets real heavy. I am thinking that I don't have the belt tight enough. I am letting things coold down before taking the wheel off and getting back in there. I beleieve the adjustment method is to loosen the three screws that attach the pump to the engine and use a screw driver or lever to tighten like a alternator and them secure the screws. Terry
There are 4 bolts - hex head that rear timing belt cover fastens to, allen head one on bottom with hole in bottom TB cover and two behind pulley see this http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/48752-how-i-adjusted-power-steering-belt.html

If belt isn't making nose I doubt loose belt is the issue.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turned out that the power steering pump belt did need tightening. I tightened it and the power steering was consistent again with no change at high or low rpm. The placement of the bolts to tighten the ps belt is really dumb! Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts