Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In order to adjust the belt tension of the 164's power steering, a 13mm/1/2" distributor wrench is really necessary. One of the three pump mounting bolts is very difficult to reach without on. Have this wrench makes it easy.

There is a specific Alfa Factory Tool, but you can modify a common and cheap 1/2" distributor wrench to work perfectly. These are widely available at automotive stores, cheap tool places, ebay, Summit Racing, etc.

Buy a cheapo wrench for about $6, then modify the shape to be like the ones below. The first image is of the unmodified tool, and the other two, after modifications.

To do the mods, you only require a good vice and a 4 lb hammer. Forget heat, I tried it and didn't soften the metal enough to make a difference. Think FORCE and bending it to your will. Good stress reliever . . . and it scares the wife a little so she'll probably leave you alone for a while.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
There were actually 2 different wrenches for the power steering. The early production cars used a slightly different pump.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didn't see that. The repair manual only shows one wrench and the parts manual one listing for the pump.

The adjustment bolts act on the pump bracket rather than the pump itself. The upper bolt is 17mm and is the pivot. the lower two bolts are in oblong slots and are 13mm(1/2"). Those are best accessed with the distributor wrench. The other adjustment bolt on the very front uses a hex wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
sorta off kilter here but...any suggestions for the lower alt bolt on the 4 bangers? What a pig....

Anyway, I'm thick so bear with me. Did you twist the hex end so it's more "upright" in the pic?? ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
27,006 Posts
I didn't see that. The repair manual only shows one wrench and the parts manual one listing for the pump.

The adjustment bolts act on the pump bracket rather than the pump itself. The upper bolt is 17mm and is the pivot. the lower two bolts are in oblong slots and are 13mm(1/2"). Those are best accessed with the distributor wrench. The other adjustment bolt on the very front uses a hex wrench.
See if this thread helps with understanding the process. As John says the lower internal hex head bolt takes an 8mm allen head wrench:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/282785-reseating-power-steering-belt-tension-12v-v6-164-a.html

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory repair manual has three different tension specs:

1. "Assembly" (new belt) 90 - 101.2 lbs

2. "Retentioning" (old belt) 67.5 - 78.7 lbs

3. "Minimum" tension (cold) 56.2 lbs.

Personally, like the serpentine compressor drive belt, I think Alfa's Assembly and Retensioning specs are unnecessarily high and detrimental to bearing life. I retensioned my old belt to 45-50 lbs. which is plenty tight for a v-belt.

When the weather gets cold, I'll see if I get any slippage/squealing on initial startup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Here are some pictures of the factory tools. The 90 degree one is the one for the early production cars. There were quite a few changes between the early production cars and the later ones. If I remember correctly from alfa class the early productions were produced in 1990. I can't remember how many there where. Also a way to date a 164 special tool is if it has the A number it was a tool that went to the dealers right before the first cars where delivered. If its the 182 number they came out around late 91 and later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Very timely post John! That took all of about 5 minutes. I had to also grind down the OD of the box end on the Napa wrench I picked up a couple weeks ago. Better to mangle a $9 Taiwan wrench than grand daddy's heirloom.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just took off the top power steering hose union and put a socket on it. You lose very little power steering fluid and it only takes a few mins to top it up and spin the wheel lock to lock

1 - 10 of 10 Posts