Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new P/S rack in the Milano. About 2,000 miles on it.
It has developed a "dead spot" at center. About 20deg of nothing. Sort of like my '79 Chevy Van. Turn the steering wheel and nothing goes on at the wheels for that 10 deg.
I jacked it up and looked at the components. All seem to be fastened. The rack is tight to the frame, tie rods are fastened on.
The car seems OK on fast turns (30mph) but the car is difficult to drive straight down the street since the steering is not so effective.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would have suggested a loose rack but you covered that, also look at your steering column, I think there is a rubber isolator which can go bad and cause what you are having.

·
Richard Jemison
7,190 Posts
steering issue

First to isolate problem lock the input into the rack with a set of vice grip plyers or two. With the u-joints in the system & rubber vibration isolater you have good possibilities that the problem is there. If wheel still indicates slop, then ckeck these items individually until found. If wheel is solid then there is probably a gear issue. Have you had to add fluid to the reservoir? If so with engine running turn wheels in both directions to max lock, then while someone is holding the steering wheel to max lock check the fluid level. If low fill. then go from full lock to full lock opposite a few times & see if perhaps is was caused by trapped air. It`s the most convoluted system I`ve ever seen.
I have a complete system from a Verde that needs to find a new home. Anyone close to Pensacola need one??

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I didn't think the Milano has the rubber isolator of the GTV6. Does it?
Jes

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to my mechanic (Santo). I only checked the rack for loose by hand while the car was jacked up. No real load on the rack, so it may be a little loose but my hand does not have enough force.
So while turkey is cooking tomorrow I will jack the car back up and follow all of your suggestions, as well as retorquing the 4 rack bolts. (I was the mechanic who put the rack in, so it "may" be loose!!!!)
Fluid level is OK.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I had a rack get a bit lose and it was like that. the best way is to look at the rack with a flashlight under the hood and have someone else turn the wheel back and forth. also check the boots. they seem to crack after not too much time. I had mine crack after a year or so.
If I rember right only the bolts on the driver side hold it from moving. The bolts on the other side do not do much at all as the soft rubber has a lot of flex.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
A loose rack was my problem too, the bolts backed out some and I had a serious dead spot, took it to the alignment shot and they pointed out the loose rack... It was my fault, usually is on my cars...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think SamW and slyalfa may be correct.
After we put the turkey in the oven tomorrow I am out under the hood looking for a loose rack.
Then tighten up those 4 bolts. I hope that solves the problem.
The rack only has about 2,000 miles on it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which wine goes best with vegs, cheese and crackers?

Well, another "Duh?" moment to add to my list.
The rack was pretty loose.
You can easly see the rack from the passenger side engine bay. I was going to show my cousin how to turn the steering wheel side to side when I moved the steering wheel and heard "clik, clik" every time I moved the rack and it ran into the loose bolts. "DUH!!".
So now I have the solution.
But it is T-Giving afternoon, the turkey is cooking and the whole house smells nice. Time to visit the wine cabinet and decide if a cab or a pinot is the better wine to have with mid afternoon munchies. Dinner looks like it will be ready in 3 hours. Not enough time to jack the car up, pour a glass and take a short nap.
So I can fix the car later this weekend.
Thanks to you diagnosticians.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Good, that is an easy fix, take some brake cleaner and spray clean what you can, then add some red threadlok so you don't have to make this fix again. I think I had a lot of powersteering fluid on the cross member from my old rack, and that is what I blamed for the bolts not holding.... Anyway, good luck and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it took more time to get the tools together and get the car on jack stands than it took to tighten the 2 loose bolts on the driver's side of the rack.
Cleaned them with brake cleaner, a little blue locktight and all tightened up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts