Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I'm noticing that sometimes whenever I turn the steering wheel on my car to the right, I feel some vibrations as though the pump is seizing. It doesn't happen when it's straight or turning left. Yesterday the pump made a noise when I made a sharp right turn but then I could not recreate it or the vibrations. Can anyone think of what is going on? I find it hard to think that if the pump was going that it would show some signs only when turning one direction.

Gary
88 Verde

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I would say check for busted mounts.
if the motor is floping about when you make turns it will not be good.
also check that the battery too some times thay come lose too.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
BTW is the steering tight?? if it has slop the rack might have come lose and moving back and forth.

·
Registered
246 Posts
how about exhaust manifold, it may come close to the chassis and/or heat shield. Similar vibration/noise happend to me before, took me longest to figure out that 3 nuts were loose on the header and the play was enough for it to tap chassis lightly at right turn. Tighten the nuts and haven't had issue since. Hope your's as simply as mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the header bolts but they should be fine. I just installed the CSC units with the recent engine rebuild and I'm sure they're tight. I'll check either way.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I had a very subtle humming noise when turning right, started just off center. A few months later it wasn't so subtle. It was the inner wheel bearing on passenger side.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but am I correct in saying you shouldn’t hold these racks on full lock? In doing so you will vastly prolong the life of it.

Mine is starting to leak from one of the boots. :( Imagine the flak these would cop if they were italian made...

·
Premium Member
13,515 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to check the front left wheel bearing. It could be the right rear bearing but keep your fingers crossed that it is not. Replacing a rear wheel bearing is a PITA. Front ones are easy.
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
front bearings are new. it's a distinct noise/vibration regarding the hydraulic system. it's as though something in the pump is preventing the oil from reaching it as i turn right. makes no sense but it's exactly as though the pump is starving from oil.

one thing i might try is replacing the oil reservoir with one from a bmw as the filter at the bottom may be clogged. i'll also bleed the pump as shown in the alfa manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts