Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'91 L Auto

Finally decided to investigate the cause of the stains of power steering fluid under my car. I figured it was my rack but when I crawled underneath the rack looked clean. The leak appears to be from the pressure hose from the pump. There is a plastic sheath around the hose and fluid is dripping out of the sheath where the hose attaches to its curved U-turn fitting to attach to the rack. Attached are two pictures of the hose in question, does this sound right?

Do these hoses go bad?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Looks like the leak to me. If so remove hose and get hose shop to remake hose the mayu have to use your old end fittings.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Make sure that you mark the hose and the pipe so that they can line them up the way they came off of the car. This is in case the hose turns in the crimp. Just a thought.

Paul

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does the L have an AT "oil cooler" like the LS? If so, you might as well replace those hose while you are at it.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Have a new high pressure hose made at a reputable shop. Just give them the original hose and they will copy it. The OEM high pressure hose is made substandard, and is guaranteed to leak or blow out at a time most inconvenient to you.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have a new high pressure hose made at a reputable shop. Just give them the original hose and they will copy it. The OEM high pressure hose is made substandard, and is guaranteed to leak or blow out at a time most inconvenient to you.
Isn't that the truth. After my PS hose blew I replaced all of the high pressure hoses in a preemptive strike. I compared new OEM hoses to the ones I had made up and everything about the non-OEM seemed more robust and of higher quality.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Here is my hose which removed and I assumed to be stock. Notice it has a banjo fitting on both ends. There is an OEM hose on ebay eBay.ca: ALFA ROMEO 164 PWR STEER HOSE (item 110186559805 end time 05-Nov-07 15:39:32 EST) that uses a different fitting on the pump end (left in picture below).

What is the deal here?
Yes, there are two versions - I guess depending on the manufacturing date. I find this out when changing oil filters and later from changing racks. The version with more downward bend makes it impossible to change oil filter from the side of the car so I have to change the oil filter from under the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I removed both the driver and passenger side wheel arches. Pulled it out through the passenger side. You have to nurse it through from underneath as it gets easy hung up.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Probably cost you $30-40 to have someone make you a new hose using those ends.
We just had the same hose made about a week ago for about $35.00

Let me know your VIN. That hose fits 1991-1992 L/S models.

The part number you need to use: 60510413

Jason

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talking to a few folks about making a new hose. They seem to thing the best way would be to cut off the end pieces as close to the hose crimp piece as possible and braze them into either a stovepipe crimp piece or just into the ID of a threaded male crimp piece. What ever would work seems to be the key.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Talking to a few folks about making a new hose. They seem to thing the best way would be to cut off the end pieces as close to the hose crimp piece as possible and braze them into either a stovepipe crimp piece or just into the ID of a threaded male crimp piece. What ever would work seems to be the key.
Whatever works. But I would not want to do it again. Take the hose in and have them make a new one. Takes about a day and $40.
But up to you? I have a few used ones as well if your interested?
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
There are two different style pressure hoses used on 12v 164.

Item 2 uses union at pump and item 6 uses banjo fittings on both ends. Either one will work as long as you have union or banjo fitting bolt and copper sealing washers for whatever configuration you are using.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take the hose in and have them make a new one.
When you say make a new one, are they reusing the banjo end pieces and pipe sections or also making them new?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
When you say make a new one, are they reusing the banjo end pieces and pipe sections or also making them new?
Chances are they will reuse your banjo fittings and just swage on new hose.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, here is a follow up on what I did.

I helped make up a new hose with a local hydraulic hose shop. First thing I did was make up a jig so I could duplicate the length and end orientations. I then bought two standard crimp end fittings from the hose shop ($13.50) into which my 10 mm OD end pieces would slide into. I cut off my end pieces from my hose and brazed them onto the crimp end pieces. I brought these made up end pieces along with my jig back to the shop and they cut a length of hose ($11.30) and crimped them on to it ($9.00). So, my cost came to about $34 for the hose.

Put it back on the car yesteday and no leaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
OK, here is a follow up on what I did.

I helped make up a new hose with a local hydraulic hose shop. First thing I did was make up a jig so I could duplicate the length and end orientations. I then bought two standard crimp end fittings from the hose shop ($13.50) into which my 10 mm OD end pieces would slide into. I cut off my end pieces from my hose and brazed them onto the crimp end pieces. I brought these made up end pieces along with my jig back to the shop and they cut a length of hose ($11.30) and crimped them on to it ($9.00). So, my cost came to about $34 for the hose.

Put it back on the car yesteday and no leaks.
Talk about "doing their work for them"! :)
That was a very thorough job and I wouldn't have thought of brazing original pieces - I thought that you could cut off the crimp collar and replace with a new one, leaving untouched the pipe that the hose fits over. Obviously I was wrong!

-Alex

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I thought that you could cut off the crimp collar and replace with a new one, leaving untouched the pipe that the hose fits over.
-Alex
That's what I started out thinking I would do. However, I could not cut off the collar. It was originally a one piece fitting or the original crimping, or brazing, had effectively turned it into one. Plus the original insert (barbed) portion of the fitting was poor, according to the hose guys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts