Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a PS leak on the "new" Verde and have a rack coming. However, today I noticed that I also get foaming with bubbles in the brown ZF reservoir. If I recall correctly, this is due to toast seals in the PS pump. Correct? Has anyone found rebuild kits for the pump and done it themselves? Or, is a new/rebuilt pump the only order?

BTW, I tried the search function but came up empty handed.

Thanks,
Jes

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,863 Posts
Here's the thread you need:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=2462

Short answer to fix the foaming is that you need a shaft seal (available from Alfa Parts in Berkeley) and a bunch of O-rings (nitrile or viton rubber) to redo all the internal seals. For 20 bucks in parts it'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pointer! Exactly what I was looking for :)
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfa Parts: 1-510-525-9435
Jes

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks!!!....

Have you called them already? Do they have everything to rebuilt the pump? How much?..........thanks again,.....Al

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Most have got this fixed just by craking the pump and puting in new 'O' rings.
I had this on mine and it would not stop untill I replaced the rack. it would fome up and out the lid and spill on the hot pipes and make a lot of smoke.

so it is not the pump 100% of the time. but that is a good place to start.
This have been on the BB many times. And the DIY fix for the pump seems very easy.
the 'O' rings can come from a cheap kit like harborfreight has.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you called them already? Do they have everything to rebuilt the pump? How much?..........thanks again,.....Al
I ordered the shaft seal from Alfa Parts this morning per the thread posted by Tom. The O-rings you will have to find elsewhere - possible sources posted in the link by Tom.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did the PS pump today. Replaced:
1. The shaft seal.
2. The 6 small O-rings.
3. The larger size O-ring.
4. The largest size O-ring.
To pull the pressure regulator I wrapped a good size wire around it and put it in the vise - see pic. It came off easily without scars.

Anyway, all back together and no foaming and overflowing from the reservoir.

I only have only problem. The pulley is cracked and the crack is running. If anyone has a Milano PS pump pulley they want to part with, please PM me.

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My PS system has a leak. But it is at the high pressure hose (pump to rack). I measured the banjo fittings. Rack side is 10mm and Pump side is 12mm.

Is it ok to go with one of those banjo fitting which converts metric to AN? Then use a braided hose which can hold up to 2000 psi?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worth a try, I think. I was contemplating doing the same if I had a leaking PS hose - make my own hoses.
Jes

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well I tried to go to a shop which can put in a new flexible section and crimp it to the hard line, but the end which connects to the pump is too small (6mm). An alternative is to have someone carefully weld on a slightly bigger hard line section to the 6mm hard line. Then any hose shop can put in a new hose and crimps in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Zamani,
I was thinking about something like these AN to metric Banjo fittings. If the correct size is not listed here, you can probably find it from someone else, e.g. Earls, Russels, ... Then just make your own hoses - that's what I would do. I did the entire fuel system on Roxanne making my own hoses, all AN - straightforward.

Or, just use an AN to metric adapter fitting that matches the thread of the banjo bolt: http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Metric With a washer or O-ring it should seal - that's how I did the fuel pump and fuel filter (both metric thread) to AN.

Jes

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
years ago I just went to a local hydraulic shop gave them the old hose and they made a new one. I think any hydraulic shop can do it. they seemd to have all the parts on hand. I do not rember where I went I just looked in the yellow pages at the time and the first place I called could do it.
the price was cheap and the hose still works great.

for the low psi side I just cut off the old hose and used some new hose I got at OSH with hose clamps. I also got some thin dishwasher drane hose to slide over the hydraulic hoses so to keep the stock look and help protect the line from header heat.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
used some new hose I got at OSH with hose clamps. I also got some thin dishwasher drane hose
I'll pretend I didn't read that ;) Better watch out, that could seriously upset the Alfa Gods... ;)
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zamani,
Another example of a hose end that would work:
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=15374
This one is actually perfect - given the proper thread. This is what I will do when the PS hoses need replacement. Not the cheapest, but it should last and you can make it yourself.
Jes

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I found a place close to my place, atpturbo.com which sells 10mm and 12mm banjo fittings. Both have a -4 AN outlet. They're about $19 each.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=FTG

We just need the banjo fitting, the stock bolt will do just fine.

The hose will probably run another $40. Not cheap, but the stock new hose is around $300 from a place here.... And I'm not too keen on buying a used 20 year old hose either. I'd buy it if I really had no choice, but it is not something I would like to do.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I bought the 2 fittings. Both fit our application nicely. You can even get braided -4 AN hoses in 28" length from bakerprecision.com which can withstand very high pressure, for around $35. But I'll just ask the local show how much they will charge to do it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Because these sizes are not usually stocked and must be ordered with minimum quantity requirements, I have eight piece sets of o-rings; six small, one large and another slightly smaller that fits behind the regulator valve for $10.50 including US postage. I rebuilt my pump 60k miles ago and it's not leaked since.
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts