Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my head under the hood ...just for fun...and I’ve found one disconnected hose next to the power steering fluid tank. Checked the manual and found the image attached. According to this image, it is power steering vent hose which connects to the tank cap/plug. The problem is – I don’t have any vent cap connections on my 92 164S. Do I have maybe aftermarket cap, and am I losing some benefits here for not having this vent hose connected?
Regards

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,452 Posts
The barbed nipple on the cap can just be pulled out of the cap. If it's a standard ZF cap and you look around the perimeter, you'll probably see the hole where it was supposed to go. If you go to the hardware store I'm sure you can find a plastic barbed hose fitting that you can jury rig to fit.

That being said, it's not a huge deal if the hose isn't hooked up. It'll overflow out that hole if the seals in your pump or rack go and the hose'll keep it from making too much of a mess, that's all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Sasha! it's there... The hose goes into the cap, no nipple protrudes from the cap. (It's come off before...) If you can find it, take the cap of and look around the edge, you'll find a small hole in the side.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The "nipple" usually falls out with the hose. All this does BTW is lead excess fluid away from the edge of the cap down onto the floor of the false bulkhead area, presumably to help keep your perty fingers clean when you take the cap off to top it up...again and again.. The whole idea of a 164 ever having "excess" power steering fluid is laughable in itself. Mine needs topping up fairly often!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup! I found it! Thanks on quick respond fellas.
Best,
Sasha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts