Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find a power steering filter for an Alfa Milano Verde?Its the cylindrical one that is in the power steering reservoir...Any input would be much appreciated...

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
New is probably going to be hard to find. I'd just look for a used one. Try posting in the parts forum and maybe you'll find one.

·
Premium Member
14,675 Posts
There were two different styles of PS reservoir. The big rectangular one that is mounted near the radiator has a filter. I think that the small round reservoir that mounts behind the washer bottle does not have a filter. So I wonder if the filter is necessary?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,420 Posts
There were two different styles of PS reservoir. The big rectangular one that is mounted near the radiator has a filter. I think that the small round reservoir that mounts behind the washer bottle does not have a filter. So I wonder if the filter is necessary?
Actually, I think they both do have a filter, but typical of Alfa the filters are not the same.

The small round PS reservoir is common to some BMWs and other Euro cars of the period.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Yeah, the small brown round one has an integral filter. The filter in this type is not replaceable: you replace the whole reservoir. There's a TSB somewhere recommending replacement of the reservoir (to get a clean filter) any time something like a PS pump failure happens or whatnot.

(Edit: it's sorta hidden in TSB 23.88.01)

Like Joe said it's a pretty common part since it was used in many cars. I don't remember it being crazy expensive, but can't remember where I bought one.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
No service interval that I've ever seen, just instruction to replace it if any other component (rack or pump) is replaced due to failure.

I've still got the original one in my Spider (same ZF small brown one). Never messed with it as the fluid has always looked pretty clean. The Milano fluid was black so when I replaced the pump seals I flushed the entire system with new fluid and then replaced the reservoir.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car has the big power steering reservoir mounted beside the rad...The filter is changeable...Its just so hard to find....I am actually replacing the p.s pump and as Gubi says its always good to change the filter too...Furthermore the filter that I have now its looking really bad....

Gubi if you remember where you got one....Dont forget me....

I appreciate your input guys...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
The one I bought was the small brown reservoir which isn't what you need. I'm afraid I can't be much help.

You try contacting Alfa Parts in Berkeley? They're usually pretty good about sourcing stuff like that.

I don't know if the big reservoir is a standard ZF part like the small one, but maybe there are some ZF experts out there who might help you? Perhaps do a search for guys who service ZF racks and whatnot: maybe they'll recognize the part.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I am in the same boat. My Verde has the big reservoir and the filter is leaking. Looking for a new one and not sure of an equivalent. Any advice is appreicated.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
As follow up....I ended up fitting a universal PS filter for an 89 BMW 325 and, other than changing the two small hose sections, it works fine. $10 at AutoZone.

My old one was definitely leaking once I had it out of the car and could inspect more closely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts