Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently realized that my 85 spider has power mirrors... Was this factory? They also do not work, so is there a fuse/relay that can blow?

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes there is a fuse, I dont recall which one. My 86 Spider has power mirrors as well, but they have never worked. Even with good fuse, the toggle just clicks.
I adjust them manually.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You know what- I just pulled one of my mirrors and it isnt even a power mirror... however, the harness with the two plugs is still there... does any one know where i can get some of the power mirrors?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also- is there perhaps a way to test the plugs to make sure that they are sending a signal before shilling out a ton of cash on new mirrors?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted all of the options that came on the car to be there. I am a bit persnickity about all of that. :) I like all-option cars!

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
if you find the original vitaloni power mirrors, they are usually expensive.
Do you still have the round toggle switch in the console? (the type for dual mirrors), as that is expensive too!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you find the original vitaloni power mirrors, they are usually expensive.
Do you still have the round toggle switch in the console? (the type for dual mirrors), as that is expensive too!
Still have the switch, but not the original mirrors. The wiring is all there, though.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Use a multi-meter and see if you are getting voltage from the mirror plug at the door. Pull out all of the fuses and clean the contacts in the fuse box, then replace. New fuses are cheap, too. Clean the ground on the rh side of the block; I'm not sure if ground for the mirrors goes through there or not, but many other things do, like the ECUs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good luck finding the original mirrors. If they are like mine, the big Vitaloni mirrors with ALFA ROMEO stamped on the mirror housing, those are nearly extinct. There is an 86 Alfa Spider on Cincinnati Craigslist for sale that hose those mirrors. He's asking $600 for the car. I was tempted to take the 5 hour drive just to buy the car for the rubber gaskets alone!! Check with AlfaBB member Alfa311, see if he has any mirrors laying around. Also EbSpares out of England used to carry those. Only other option is to buy the S4 mirrors, but not sure if they will fit or not. I searched over a year just to find one replacement mirror. I disconnected the power to them and use them manually like I stated earlier. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 1986 Spider Q and the original power mirrors are working great. I plan to remove the driver side mirror as the shell has a small dent in it that I want removed. I agree with you, I like a fully optioned car. We may be in the minority.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fyi, You do not have to remove the mirror to repair a dent in the shell. I let my pitted mirror go fo a long time because I thought it would be difficult to fix them. But, the shell is easy to remove by itself without taking any of the mirror apart. I found out the hard way that it just clips into place.

There are two tangs on the top edge of the shell that you can't see. They fit into two slots in the black plastic. There are also two smaller tabs on the bottom of the shell. Use your fingers to push hard on the bottom of the shell while pulling out the bottom. Once the bottom is out you can slide out the tops.

If you don't have any other body work to do just order a rattle can on line that matches your paint code. It will be base coat. Cost's about 20 bucks. You can buy the clear from Orielly's.

After fixing the dent, priming and sanding (rinse repeat), shoot the color with several light coats until it completely covers. The base dries very fast provided you don't put too much on at a time. Don't skimp on the prep work. Any blemishes will show through the color and clear. You can sand in between if you mess up but you don't want to sand the last coat of color. The semi rough surface of the base coat helps the clear to bind. Put on lots of clear 6 - 10 coats allowing to dry between coats. Then sand it progressively with 400, 600, 1000, 1500 grit to get rid of any orange peel or other blemishes in the clear. (If you sand through the clear just start over.) Then polish with McGuires and pop it back in. Easy peasy and very satisfying.

Herb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the mirror shell.
I've had a paintless dent removal guy go over the whole car, but he didn't do anything with the mirror.
I'll have him back.
I'll soon be sending it to a pro paint touch-up guy who can make all the little paint nicks disappear.
The car still has the factory paint in very nice condition.
I'd like to try not to repaint the shell if possible.
I don't try to do paint and body work myself, but mechanical work is great fun.
I've done some minor upgrades and I'm looking forward to upgrading the suspension.
I love to drive this thing.

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts