Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao guys,

The mirror glass of the drivers side, side mirror is rattling noticeably on my 87 Quad Spider.
I would like to get inside and fix it.
Not obvious how one gets at the mirror motors/mechanisms. Can someone give me clues?
Ciao for now, Elio

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
I'm not sure if this gets you into the motor area or not but I do know the rectangular metal cover - the part painted body color - can be removed fairly easily. Its perimeter is pressed into a slot in the rubbery housing. Use a small screwdriver to coax it out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If the entire mirror is rattling, you can tighten the mirror to the base by folding down the small triangular rubber flap on the end of the base, and use a metric allen wrench (I don't remember what size) to tighten the mirror to the base.

Mine was rattling both because it was loose on the base and because the glass is loose inside. I have solved the first issue, but not the loose glass, so if you figure this one out, I'd be interested in any tips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ymmv

If the entire mirror is rattling, you can tighten the mirror to the base by folding down the small triangular rubber flap on the end of the base, and use a metric allen wrench (I don't remember what size) to tighten the mirror to the base.

Mine was rattling both because it was loose on the base and because the glass is loose inside. I have solved the first issue, but not the loose glass, so if you figure this one out, I'd be interested in any tips.
My 89 Quad has a vacancy...in the RH mirror so I can see that the glass part snaps into the plastic pivoting gimbal-like (female) bracket, with a four pin plastic bracket that is the backer on the mirror glass. Make sure you work on it out in the grass, or have some padding down...garage concrete is not a good choice...ask me how I know :eek::( 6.67 more years to go:D ...
Hope you can see all four mounting holes in the black plastic ring...

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks guys. The photos help. It's moved up on my to do list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts