Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was unable to provide a tour of my private collection at the Potlatch, so I'm including pictures of my California faded babes. The blue duetto used to belong to the drummer of "The Association" in the sixties. It sat neglected in Malibu, until my brother and I resurrected it. The green 1969 sat at Georis Winery, Carmel, until I rescued it about a year ago. My most recent rescue was from Flathead Lake, Montana, a former California serviceman's duetto girl that went with it's owner to MT for retirement. He didn't appreciate the severity on MT winters, failing to check the antifreeze department, and fractured the block. I highly recommend the huckleberry shakes in St. Regis, MT.

Anyway, fishing season is almost over, I'll be selling Dutchboy blue Alfa soon, and on to restoring a green duetto or 69 spider, or both, this winter. I'm having a potlatch with my buddy, Derald Christiansen, tonight and we are discussing which to work on.

Merritt Carden is preparing me a 1600 duetto engine.

Since Dr. (dretceterini) has officially retired, I'm changing my moniker to Dr.G. Every family needs a Dr. It's interesting that even though each of the spiders lived in CA, all got front floor and wheel well fender rot. It will all get properly fixed, but even CA cars left outside fender\floor rust away.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
You missed this at the Potlatch

Here's a real GTA which an acquaintance spent two years plus\minus restoring. Left front, totaled fender, in just the second race it was in about two weeks ago in Portland. He is, needless to say, in deep mourning right now. So am I (in mourning), since I never got to drive it as I missed the Chidren's Hospital benefit at Northwest Raceway, or whatever SIR is called now, three weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
wesley55 said:
Since Dr. (dretceterini) has officially retired, I'm changing my moniker to Dr.G. Every family needs a Dr. It's interesting that even though each of the spiders lived in CA, all got front floor and wheel well fender rot. It will all get properly fixed, but even CA cars left outside fender\floor rust away.
This might be slightly off-topic, but I've always wondered about this. When I see "California car, owned by little-old-lady in So-and-so Beach", why doesn't the sea air rust them out? I have relatives in Satellite Beach, Florida and their new, "rust-proof" Japanese cars rot away in just a few years thanks to the constant salt spray within a few miles of the beach. Even if they wash them regularly and garage them at night. They get 'em fixed under warranty, but still get hammered when they go to sell them.

Any explanation? Is it just that CA is generally drier?

I guess your babies answer my question - they DO rust out.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Rusty and musty

My Georis winery Spider Veloce sat under an oak tree and filled with acorns and oak leaves. I think a chipmunk or squirrel was living in it. I vacuumed out a lot of acorn husks. I think that being outside, and oak tannins may have combined with the Monterey salt fog. The 67 was from Malibu on the beach.

Right behind the front wheels the vertical piece with three screws still lets dirt in. It accumulates in the bottom of the V. The dirt holds the moisture and those areas will rust out if they stay wet. Under the front floorwells the black rubber holds the moisture in after a rain, and the top doesn't seal very well, and the floor rusts. My 69 that I used to have was always parked in a heated garage when I lived in Seattle. That one never rusted because it always dried out. Nothing else is rusty, just the water dirt accumulation areas. In the wintery salted, humid, rest of the country the entire car rots out.

Someone told me the steel was very poor quality in the late 60's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts