Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a note to all prospective buyers of "GTAs" or "special lightweight 105s" with previous "competition history", there are rumors about of a car that may miraculously "appear" in coming months which may fit the descriptions above...but sources say has supposedly been recently built in AUS with replica panels and parts in this part of the world.
Potential buyers beware.....allegedly some individuals concerned may have form with previous high dollar fakes of other makes which were supposedly sold to overseas buyers.
If true, it is a shame the scammers are getting into our life's passions.
It does not involve any of the local GTAs.
Any seller making claims should be able to back up claims with event histories, entries & results , period photos and eye-witness accounts; somebody somewhere knows of each racing Alfa here...there were never that many in the grand scheme of things.
If anyone has any concerns about buying a historic race Alfa from here, you can contact me and I or trusted others will get the background for you.
I'll keep you posted....
Vince.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hey Vince, yes do keep us posted. Is it to be LHD or RHD.

ciao

Ken

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Vince, yes do keep us posted. Is it to be LHD or RHD.

ciao

Ken
I do not know specifically, but likely our RHD.
To clarify a bit, it is NOT to do with the ex-Rapley car which recently landed or any of the local GTAs, a list of which I can make available.
As I said, my intention is to warn of the possibility that this may surface and people need to be aware and do due diligence on any claimed history that may demand a premium price.
It is sad to see here that year after year at our GP, many pre-war & post-war replicas for instance, are trotted out with spurious claims to their history. Descriptions such as "Fangio drove a car LIKE this in...." are reasonable enough, but if no reference to replication and it reads" Fangio drove this car in...." it is nothing but fraud and fakery, and often maybe because of out remoteness, stories have been woven and believed by international buyers on many occasions, where cars have not even existed until decades after the famous drivers, events &exploits.
Vince.

·
Administrator
12,549 Posts
Sorry even saying "Fangio drove a car LIKE this in...." is making up false history. A person who did not want to make their car (or themselves) more important than it is would say "This is a replica of the car Fangio drove in ..."

The problem with the first comment as you say is memories and time will skew that to "Fangio drove this car in ..."

So could it be that Vroom has stumbled across a planted photo?: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6213585-post5.html
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts