Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that you don’t see very often! (unless it is the thumbnail above)

Aycock  1960 Two Liter Roadster.jpg

A 1960 Cast Iron Block Roadster 2000 running some sort of autocross track way back in the day. I believe that then owner William Aycock (102.04.01844) must have let someone else drive the car for him as I believe that he is also visible in the photo to the upper left of the car at Morton Thiokol.

The driver almost certainly has a connection with the lady in the “Poodle Skirt” as he looking at her and not the course!

There is a lot going on in the old black and white photo; that could even be James Dean leaning against the old station wagon.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,582 Posts
Jay N has referred to attempt to race his 102's. I love a spirited drive in mine along a winding road, but the idea of attempting a time-trial or speed event in one brings the mental image of pigs trying to fly.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Two Liter is definitely more of a boulevard cruiser than a track car. I remember Jay’s comment that he had never run a track day (SIR) without it costing him an engine. I remember in the old ‘Alpha Plus’ Magazine of Club Alfa Romeo 2600/2000 International, reading of Roger Monk and Adrian Hall racing their 2600’s. I think that Roger referred to his car as ‘Piggy’.

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
I've once seen a 2600 enter a classic race ... honestly it was so slow and looked so uncomfortably out of its scene that we all turned away and did not watch so as not to embarrass it.

I assume it is still going on that same 5 lap race ...
Pete

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
"Piggy" was Adrian Ratcliff's 102 Sprint with 106 engine that he revved to 9,000 RPM.

Edit 19-Nov-2018: I learned today that Adrian called the car "Piggy" and not "Miss Piggy." He even had a fake license plate made that said "Just Piggy."

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Those were the days, My Friend, etc.

Ah, yes, that horrible oil pan with baffles is a joke. On the Number 3 corner referred to as the Indianapolis corner at Seattle Internation Raceways, now Pacific International Raceways, in Kent, Washington, my oil pressure would go from 50 lbs to ZERO every time. The oil would all run to the outside side so far the "sucker" was sucking air instead of oil into the oil pump. And if one tried to overfill the oil the crank would dip into it. Just no way to solve that problem -- maybe an aluminum pan from a 1900? I affirm, sadly and categorically, that never once did I run a time trial there that it did not cost me an engine. I had to redo one once with less than 500 miles on it.

And I have photos of a beautiful yellow two liter spider (with hardtop, no less) (long ago sold) sitting next to a 102 spider that Adrian Ratcliffe and Richard Jarvis brought down from Vancouver to a Northwest Alfa Romeo Club event where we both ran. I'd guess that to have been in the early 70's. Adrian blew his engine entirely, but had a 1.59 lap. The best I could do was 2.06, but I limped my home. Sad day. Adrian had to tow his car home, and Vancouver is a long long way.

Adrian still has Miss Piggy, the light blue two liter sprint (AR10205*00015) with 2600 engine he raced in vintage. Unfortunately he rolled it ("A$$ over teakettle" as he so quaintly says) at the old Canadian Port Coquitlam race track when his rear end went dry and locked up as he was either just getting to or just over "dears Leap" going downhill to the old "apex corner". He is an expert auto body man, and he sometimes talks about it, but I doubt he will ever attempt to repair that car even if it is one of only 704 ever made. But no two liter was supposed to have been a racer (except the factory demonstrator with the sportiva engine I drove in German), and never could have been By the way, Adrain did far better doing vintage racing in an two tone green English Ford Contina.

But now I am just too old to race anything. My sons are the hot dogs. I hold my breath riding with them just around cloverleafs. I waited for a new Alfa since the new car was first promised to come in 2006, but delayed every two years since. And the 4C looks like it might be big enough only for a couple midgets without luggage. I will have to see it in the flesh. But those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end. They were, regardless, lots and lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Not intended to be a thread highjack, but just another example of "those days"...

... But those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end. They were, regardless, lots and lots of fun.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
Just no way to solve that problem...
Baffles around the oil pump solves it for ever other engine so I'm pretty sure a similar solution would solve it for these old Alfa engines too :).
Pete

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
George, is that you racing the Giulietta Spider around the peach baskets in the other vintage photo? I am glad to see that you and the current spider are still leading the way in the AROC autocrosses!

Jay, with that little 4C you would probably beat Adrian's 1.59 lap time but I think you'd be more comfortable in the 8C.
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Mark,

That's me. My friends say I have been autocrossing since pylons were made of wood, so the photo is correct.

Back to the 2000 oil pan topic; I wonder if anyone tried the little one-way doors and barriers the Giulietta Veloces had to keep oil around the oil pump pickup.

George, is that you racing the Giulietta Spider around the peach baskets in the other vintage photo? I am glad to see that you and the current spider are still leading the way in the AROC autocrosses!

Jay, with that little 4C you would probably beat Adrian's 1.59 lap time but I think you'd be more comfortable in the 8C.
Mark

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Sportiva and Jay's Two Liter factory demonstrator ride both may have had dry sump lubrication systems, didn't they? I am surprised Jay did not try that with one of his Two Liters. It probably would have saved half a dozen engines or more.

George, the cars in the photo with my first (1960) Two Liter look a few years older than the cars in your spider photo. Is that a 1964 Pontiac GTO over your left shoulder? I look forward to seeing you and the 'First Lady' of autocross again soon.
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts