Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I haven't wrecked my pretty blue 75, and don't intend to (it's been on many track events but I've been lucky so far).

However, this one garners the "I went into turn nine at over 100mph and discovered I apexed too early" award.

Usual story, ran out of road at the exit, put two wheels on the dirt (car still drifting, foot still in the carpet), rear end got loose and did a few donuts at the exit and came to a rest on the infield. I haven't early apexed turn nine since then.

I call it the "Desert Camo Milano".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Nice paint job!

I've never driven on the willow big track, but I've seen cars fly out on that turn. They do the typical driver error. Two wheels on dirt and they yank the wheel to get back on track and spinning they go.

But thats a hard turn because youre going so fast! I think they should've stretched it more then they did.

Great picture though!

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Good one Nizam!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chip, don't you have a video snippet of your ooops at Buttonwillow? I think it's the only documented-on-video ooops that we have.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I'm still waiting for the Alfa commercial!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok.. here's the video clip: http://members.cox.net/drmsd/whoops.mpg

It was Sunday afternoon at Buttonwillow, last practice session before the timed laps. Just a major case of brain fade! The turn is decreasing radius and I just got it all wrong... I apexed too early and was heading for the dirt, got off line and into the dusty pavement, so I lifted slightly and tightened my line a bit (big mistake).. and it all went downhille from there.

The pictures kinda hides just how dirty the car was... Nizam can vouch for me :D The worst part was the interior... a HUGE cloud of dirt came through the car when I spun and it took hours to clean out. If you watch the video you can see all the dirt fly past the camera when the car comes to a stop sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
my GPS sent me to the wrong direction...

Clip'ed curb a bit too hard accidentally, and car just jumped and bounced into infield... That was first time at Buttonwillow back in 2003.

jess

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
75evo said:
My car after going off the "Riverside" turn at Buttonwillow.
We were watching you from the main building. I didn't see any brake lights and I told my wife, "wow, he really is going through there without braking, that's his secret!!"

Then, we saw the car do a lazy spin out in the field, with a huge dust cloud billowing behind it :D

"I'm sure he'll brake next time," she said.

Good job on winning Class B, bro!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Heres my big ooops, and it isnt pretty...loading the verde on the trailer, hadnt even paid for it yet...all of a sudden BAM, and the exhaust got a whole lot louder. Got it on, got it home and crawled underneath...the bottom front edge of the middle muffler caught the edge of the trailer..didnt you all hear me use the ever popular expletive, camphotos2.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
HOHOHO! That's a good one! :) :) :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
HEY! I remember those! Wow, what great photographer caught that moment?!
;) :p

jess said:
my GPS sent me to the wrong direction...

Clip'ed curb a bit too hard accidentally, and car just jumped and bounced into infield... That was first time at Buttonwillow back in 2003.

jess

·
Registered
251 Posts
no one else than our own "speed goddess" her self! :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts