Alfa Romeo Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just bought my first ever '68 Lotus Elan S3 S/E back after 18 years. All credit to the two interim owners, it's stunning.... better than new.
First pic of it is on my drive in 2002. Following pics of how it is now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
In keeping with the Italian theme...
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycling

·
Registered
124 Posts
No, Pete. This is a Porsche version of the Alfa Romeo GTA/GTAm "replica" theme that admirers of the 911R are striving for; they are often members of the R Gruppe, as the license plate of the above 911 alludes to. I much prefer these 911s that are closer to the styling and the spirit of the original 911 than the wide-flared, be winged versions that even Porsche is manufacturing lately.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is that a 1967 911 R? 👍
Pete
Hi Pete, definitely not a 911R but I certainly did take design cues from it and it is to this day my favorite 911.
Mine is a long wheel base car and the 911 R short wheel base. A quick way to recognize a SWB over a LWB is fairly easy once you know what to look for. The side view photo of my car above you'll see a circular hole just to the left of the rear wheel opening. (this is where the torsion bar is) On a SWB, the hole is much closer to the wheel opening.
I didn't want to do an R-clone... just a fun endurance tribute, hot rod to drive the day-lights out of. 😀

·
Registered
109 Posts
After seeing many Fiat spiders at gatherings with my '93 Alfa Spider Veloce, a second 60s Pininfarina design seemed in order. Found this 1982 Spider 2000 with only 11,400 original miles last year. I've put 800 miles on it since October, and its a completely different driving experience than my Alfa. I enjoy both spiders, and its great to face this choice on sunny driving days!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Classic car

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
After seeing many Fiat spiders at gatherings with my '93 Alfa Spider Veloce, a second 60s Pininfarina design seemed in order. Found this 1982 Spider 2000 with only 11,400 original miles last year. I've put 800 miles on it since October, and its a completely different driving experience than my Alfa. I enjoy both spiders, and its great to face this choice on sunny driving days!

View attachment 1645854
I too had a Fiat spider many years ago. I just remember getting out of my Fiat and driving my dads GTV and the Alfa just seem to have a more heavy duty fell to it. What is your important between the two?

Ken Smith

·
Registered
109 Posts
The difference mostly is the driving "feel" of the two cars. The Alfa is smooth and very modern--power steering, power brakes and instant response. The Fiat is vintage--you feel the road and movement of the car more intimately. The Fiat is driving a '60s car built in 1982 vs. a '90s car in a 60's styled interior and body. I plan to keep both Spiders for a long, long time!

Steve

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The difference mostly is the driving "feel" of the two cars. The Alfa is smooth and very modern--power steering, power brakes and instant response. The Fiat is vintage--you feel the road and movement of the car more intimately. The Fiat is driving a '60s car built in 1982 vs. a '90s car in a 60's styled interior and body. I plan to keep both Spiders for a long, long time!

Steve
Sounds like a long term plan.

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Here are a few of my 65 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet. I actually think it looks better with the black hardtop on, although it is more fun to drive with it off of course. Slow car though.
Bill
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Regularity rally
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Convertible Red

Reactions: alfaromeoblack

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164
84 Posts
My second non Alfa favourite would have to be my Suzuki motorcycles. It would be like missing an arm if i did not have my steel horse to ride. My first Suzuki was a tee shirt at the age of 8. After that shirt fell off, at age 15, my first Suzuki motorbike was in dads garage. A 1973 AC 50 high pipe. Absolute mint condition it was. Present bikes are my 85 Katana 750. Purchased this in Perth, Australia, year was 1989. Shipped it back to Christchurch NZ in early 90's, where its keeping the Alfa company in my storage unit today.
Daily rider is my 2013 DR650. Purchased it new in Alice Springs, then transformed into reliable outback tourer. Used for exploring the outback, commutes up to Alice Springs, and a positive tool for good mental health.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Mid-size car
Desert Motorcycle Natural environment Vehicle Sahara
Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Mode of transport Vehicle
Natural environment Land lot Ecoregion Soil Steppe

·
Registered
934 Posts
Today's offering is our 1975 Maserati Bora, US spec with Maserati's ubiquitous 4.9L DOHC V8...

A fabulous Grand Touring machine: Classy and lean with ample power, well sorted suspension, and long gears.

Reactions: matt164 and Ranz

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
While I was in Holland several years ago I saw a Alfa hatchback and wanted one. Knowing it would never come state side I picked up this....at the wheels 350 HP 375 lbs torque on my last dyno run.

961 - 980 of 1010 Posts