Alfa Romeo Forums banner

5901 - 5919 of 5919 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thank you!

I have a shorter differential ratio then a stock S4 that really adds quickness out of the corners and off the line but it does cause a higher rpm in cruising on the high way. Below is in 5th gear at 70 mph.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
33 Posts

1991 Spider 5sp, AC, 124k on it, sitting since 1998 in NJ.

Paid 2k for it, so far I’ve dumped an additional 1k into it (while driving it lol)

It has some rust underneath but nothing that can’t be repaired. There’s a repair near the pass headlight and a small crease near the gas fill. She runs and drives very well.
I’m taking care of the gremlins now. Then I’ll clean up the underside. Mostly just some decay as the last two to four years it was in someone’s yard.

The original owner took good care of it, it sat for quite some time afterwards in the hands of someone else.

Regards Richy

·
Registered
726 Posts
Pleasure.
Have you used the hard top much? I have really mix feeling about it. When ever I park my spider for a week or more, I put up the top and roll the windows up. This is in my garage too. Some time back I read the best practices for a convertible top is to store it with the top up. It keeps the canvas and the plastic rear window stretched into place. Is it true the hard tops are just as noisy? And last my one car garage would have storage issues. I will say the quad tops do look really cool!

Ken Smith

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It's been years since I had the hard top on, when I tracked the Alfa the club required a hard top to be able to get on the track. I was surprised that my hardtop passed their inspection but it did.

My gaskets are still somewhat good so I didn't have much noise but the passenger side window didn't line up as well, kinda stuck out at the top. It's a two man job and hazel to install but boy it sure changes the look of the Spider, my son likes the look of the Spider better with the hard top on.

I will leave the convertible down for weeks at a time with no problem but I wouldn't leave it down for months. Your right fabric tops do shrink if not keep taught. I know a guy that bragged that his boat canvas top was never raised and the guy that bought his boat later said that it shrunk so much that it couldn't be used. I knew both of them well.

5901 - 5919 of 5919 Posts