Alfa Romeo Forums banner

5681 - 5700 of 5819 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Time for an update.
Here pictured at Chateau Chanteloupe's (our campsite) Friday evening "Concours" party whilst we were at Classic le Mans July 2018. The campsite is about 15 miles north east of Le Mans circuit, and is a great place to stay.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Our 2011 159 ti 1750 TBI at the Alfa Club Gelati run last week. It is the one on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I'll be damned! I do believe you're right 1986velocealfa! I had noticed that cut out however I assumed the steel grill fit in there however looking at photos of S2s more closely, there doesn't appear to be a cut out there! Oh lovely, what other surprises await? Oh well, something else I have to sort out! Good eye and thanks!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
American legislators have a lot to answer for with those hideous 80s tacked on afterthought bumpers they forced manufacturers to fit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed, obviously not a lot of thought went into them, just slapped them on and stuck an Slfa badge in the middle. "There you go North America, happy now?"

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Oh lovely, what other surprises await? Oh well, something else I have to sort out!
Check the lower opening below the bumper to see if it's the same as '73 opening. Might have a big gap there with the little bumpers. But if not, I think a good metal guy could easily fill in that strip on the leading edge and refinish to match.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will do, thanks Vivace, however aren't the front nose pieces slightly different besides the cut out bit? When I look at the parts online, they all seem to have slightly different shapes(?)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You may be right there. Certainly they went from the Duetto "nose cone" shape to the later air dam configuration. As far as I know, the upper apron shape in front of the hood didn't change until S4, just detail cutouts like yours has.

So do you have an entire S3 nose welded on there?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The rest of it appears to be correct; no cut-out for the side extending front bumpers and the bit under the proper steel bumpers appears to be right. I'll be able to get at it better and take those rubber bumpers off once we lose this -20 weather!

·
Registered
102 Posts
You may be right there. Certainly they went from the Duetto "nose cone" shape to the later air dam configuration. As far as I know, the upper apron shape in front of the hood didn't change until S4, just detail cutouts like yours has.

So do you have an entire S3 nose welded on there?
Looks like it has the whole S3 nose. The outer edge of the headlight buckets is rounded off line instead of the straight sharp edge like on your Duetto and on S2 Spiders when the S3 came out that’s when the outer edge became rounded. The change with the S3 also prevents someone from using headlight covers without bodywork. To see how much of an S3 nose was used pulling off the headlight rings to see if it still has the notches for the headlight cover tabs that all S2 spiders have and seeing if the access panel to the back of the headlights is still there which also went away when the S3 came out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

Wouldn't that be part of the nose? I've attached the S2 and S3 replacement parts from one of the vendors...
Yes but if it was cut off of another car they might’ve cut off and used more than you get with a replacement nose panel depending on how bad the wreck was. Makes sure the bar the hood hinges attach to is straight. The hood latch on the firewall can get bent too in an accident if the hood is shoved back.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,020 Posts
Don't get to see many of these here.

Took the SZ to a 80's/90's car show, RADwood Austin. Very popular with the tuners. One guy asked, "How could a car like that have been made?"

Had a professional detail with the Modesta line of paint protection products. Looks like candy. Some eye candy here.

It seems like there are about 20 known in the US now on the official register LINK. I hear that a west coast dealer still has some from Japan squirreled away waiting to ply the market he glutted.

Attachments

5681 - 5700 of 5819 Posts