Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a look at my TA. No extension at room temp, however it does seem to extend at the correct rate, meaning the slope of its extension curve is correct, just not the max/min values.

In the tradition of newbies trying to out think the $300 fee to have the TA rebuilt... here goes...

Has anyone considered trying to add an extension to the plunger? I realize this would be a delicate machining job, but if you could drill & tap the existing plunger, you could then fit extensions of any size depending on the condition of your TA.

Yeah i know it's a long shot. Besides the shankle sure start (don't see any for sale) or $300 rebuild, does anyone living in a warm climate simply put a permanent dummy actuator in there?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
I don't remember what the net extension is... 12mm? If you have wes's book you should be able to figure it out. If it is moving the correct distance than I don't see why you couldn't extended it. Then again I would be surprised if it is the case.

And yes, you can leave a dummy TA in there during the warm months... Worst case it might run rough for a bit.

·
Richard Jemison
7,990 Posts
TA fix

If the TA is working but not long enough, the base setting ann be adjusted by simplg "dimple-ing" the water sensor end to bring the probe to the right extension cold. Then the screw adjustment in the Spica can be used to set exact spec.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do tell more about this so called "dimple-ing"

If the TA is working but not long enough, the base setting ann be adjusted by simplg "dimple-ing" the water sensor end to bring the probe to the right extension cold. Then the screw adjustment in the Spica can be used to set exact spec.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have done the following a # of times with good success.
a stainless wire (16-18 ga) wrapped around the temp sensor end a number of times in the form of a coil. Place in a vise and gently squeeze. Idea here is to maintain the general shape so it can be refitted in the manifold.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I don''t recommend crushing the TA in an attempt to "fix" it. A bad TA is, well, bad. You can try using a dummy TA, but it might be a little harder to start.

Also "modifying" a TA will probably destroy its core value.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No crushing involved. Squeezing the temp bulb end slightly make a short extenting TA possibly useable has worked for me a number of times and all are still useable and rebuildable

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Having rebuilt hundreds of thermostatic actuators and supplied our favorite Alfa parts suppliers over the years, I would not be able to reuse a core that had the bulb deformed by any method. For one thing it lessons the volumn of the TA fluid in the engine water, and that changes the characteristics of the TA and thus the Spica operation.

90% of the time the reason the TA fails or reduces the protrusion of the pin, condensation inside the Spica Pump has created acids that have attacked the stainless pin and spring, ruining the seal that holds the fluid in.

As John Stewart says "if it's bad, it's bad".

I have never found a worthwhile substitute for a TA, other methods are bandaids and are more than likely causing other unseen problems (such as over-fueliing and washing the oil from the cylinders and into the crankcase. More acids...)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Has the bulb end of my TA already been squeezed? It looks crimped...

While i'm at it - anything to look for in the front inspection plate?

I gave the barometric capsule a sniff but really can't tell if it smells like gas or old oil. Need a professional nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Using a thin hose and a syringe, suck out the old oil in the logic section and replace it with fresh engine oil. Drive it for a while, then check again for gasoline smell. If it's a "leaker" it'll become evident fairly quickly.

Usually "leakers" really stink of stale gasoline, so you may be good.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using a thin hose and a syringe, suck out the old oil in the logic section and replace it with fresh engine oil. Drive it for a while, then check again for gasoline smell. If it's a "leaker" it'll become evident fairly quickly.

Usually "leakers" really stink of stale gasoline, so you may be good.
If only you could see the car... driving is not on the schedule until September earliest. I could spin the spica pump by hand though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts