Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Possibly for Sale RED (Rosso) Rescue Project 1993 Alfa Romeo 164L with 5-speed, A/C, sunroof, black interior, 177,402 miles. Currently car is a semi daily driver with state inspection good until 03-09. NOW HAS 180,506 so we have been driving it some in the last year Going to take it out to a car show today just to show something different than my white 164B.

Would this car interest anybody with real money?

New clutch assembly and clutch hose. Transmission has roller input shaft bearing. New front and upper motor mounts, water pump, timing belt, TB tensioner, serpentine belt pulley and new bearings in cooling fan motor.

A/C converted to R134a and blows cold but had to add some Freon this summer, and it has good stepper motors.

New lower front strut bearings, bump stops and rubber boots. New R/H inner tie rod end, replaced rubber mounts on steering rack with correct original rubber bushings.

New rear stock Cisam muffler.

New radio antenna, mirror switch. Has Jeep radio that I will probably swap out for stock 164 radio again.

Car has some paint issues but overall not in bad shape for original red.

Right now it has Base model cloth seats in it but would want to keep them and put original leather ones back in it. They are in reasonable shape but with pulled seam stitch on passenger seat. I have them in my 91L rescue project right now so will include pictures in next post

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more pictures of my 93L and both seat options

Here are some more pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wish you would have posted this before I bought D.A.'s 93l this week... I really wanted a red one.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish you would have posted this before I bought D.A.'s 93l this week... I really wanted a red one.
This one is partially pink in places

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Where's the arm rest? The best part of the L seats are the arm rests... :)

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Where's the arm rest? The best part of the L seats are the arm rests... :)
Folded up out of the way WHERE IT Should BE! You can't shift a 5-speed with arm rest in the way. So what if car they are now in is automatic. I drive with arm rest in the "upright and locked postion"

Now this is what a red paint job ought to look like. I had one of these but not with this quality of paint finish. My friend from NC staying over for our weekend event.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wait a minute there pal ;) my L is a five speed and it shifts just fine like that. Maybe I'm so used to it being down I think it should be visible in the up pos.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Folded up out of the way WHERE IT Should BE! You can't shift a 5-speed with arm rest in the way. So what if car they are now in is automatic. I drive with arm rest in the "upright and locked postion"

I agree i feel like a retard driving with my hand/arm in that position.:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait a minute there pal ;) my L is a five speed and it shifts just fine like that. Maybe I'm so used to it being down I think it should be visible in the up pos.

Well, maybe because I wear a 36" long sleeve shirt which gives me a problem with my elbow hitting arm rest if it is down is why I don't like it down.

Also, I am not a leaner so I can get true stereo effect from my front speakers.

How people can drive like that and then worse than that have front seat back in leaned into back seat besides just defies my imagination.

Alfas are made to be driven not relaxed in aren't they? In fact if this rule was applied to all cars maybe the roads would be safer to drive on IMHO.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well, maybe because I wear a 36" long sleeve shirt which gives me a problem with my elbow hitting arm rest if it is down is why I don't like it down.

Also, I am not a leaner so I can get true stereo effect from my front speakers.

How people can drive like that and then worse than that have front seat back in leaned into back seat besides just defies my imagination.

Alfas are made to be driven not relaxed in aren't they? In fact if this rule was applied to all cars maybe the roads would be safer to drive on IMHO.
LOL!
I actually adjusted the handbrake so that I could pull it up far enough with armrest in (permanent) lowered position.

I don't think I lean over to get the correct stereo imaging (is that what you meant?) But I like the steering wheel as low as possible, even if that means I can't see the instruments, so much less fatiguing to reach the three'o'clock position that way. Not quarter-to-three, the other hand is elsewhere remember, thanks to the armrest. By the way, I find text messages more challenging with the manual transmission around town - my previous auto 164 was more convenient. :D

I change gear with elbow resting on armrest, and my arms aren't that long. Anyway you only need the three gears that are closest. OK, so maybe that's taking it a bit far :eek:

Last week, I was thinking of buying a cruise control kit for my 164 (!) - they didn't ever come with that option here and it's the best feature of the Civic (along with the 55mpg). Not having to press the accelerator is so much less effort. I thought that's what driving in America was all about? ;)

Another notable omission from all Italian cars is cupholders. If I ever go to a drive-through in my FIAT, I always order Sprite so that when (not if) it falls over, there's no stain. The 164 is a lot smoother so haven't had that problem yet.

Fundamentally you see, the Uno is an upright driving position with a huge amount of noise and involvement. It feels like sitting inside some large roller-skate keen to follow the white lines, the accelerator has a steering effect, and you can feel when you run over a match thanks to the stupidly-low-profile tyres I fitted, and the shorter springs.

When I get in the 164, I like to be cradled in the luxury of it all, and count the fifteen interior lights. Anyway this post is just wasting time now and I really should get back to the job of replacing the a/c compressor!

---

Best of luck with the sale of the clean, well-maintained 164 you have there. Hope someone here tells a friend...

-Alex

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

I agree i feel like a retard driving with my hand/arm in that position.:eek:
I don't have those insecurities. My wrist is always straight, level and strong :D

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
bump bump bump there maybe a sick S in my future so could use the room if I go for it.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump, bump

Jim,

Maybe there is life after bambi's demise?

Try to talk me out of Rosso!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Steve, .....I like the licence plate ......it can become a memorabilia!!
Anyway...just kidding,! I have the same car in color etc with less klicks and have some minor problems : 1) all the interior lights dont work when the door is open and only the upper console do work by pushing the switches. I dont think is the switches inside the looks , otherwise the "door ajar" would illuminated. right?
2) theairbag warning light flashes and after a while it goes steady on. Is that because I pulled the steering wheel out and disconnected the air bag? If so I know that you did post a procedure long time ago, could you send me the link?
3) the rear defrost light is on steady, but the defroster is not on until I push the switch, and this does not effect the light at all........she is always on!
An last but not the least......everytime I turn the ignition on ..the driver seat advances one notch. ! I guess I do have some gremlins in the electrical dept.
Do you have any idea?
Tks
Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts