41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,238 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, i forgot one 0. Turin reached 1 million on early '60s. So the photo is clear: the first number is 3.
So, anyone have or saw the Certificato d'origine?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
TO94525 was issued May 1949 in Torino. If the car was indeed owned by Rita Hayworth and/or Ali Khan, this seems to been earlier than at least two other similar cars that were owned and used by the couple.

Strange things can happen with cars owned by celebrities and other people considered to be important. Strange things can appear to happen to cars that appear in commercial films. Research done by Corrado Bellabarba some years ago revealed that the 6C2500 (chassis 915834) that wore the plate "GE141457" in a film ("La Contessa Scalza") was actually registered in Roma with the same number. "Roma" was converted to "GE" for scenes where the plate appeared in the film. There are similar examples for other cars that appear in commercial films. Whether such efforts were made for some cars that appeared in newsreels(?) I do not yet know. It is possible.

This sort of research is not a sure thing and there are costs, efforts and sometimes some additional expenses involved. Anyone want to sponsor a bit of research of the plate number, "TO94525" … which would also appear at the rear in a slightly different layout?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here are informations from PRA Torino about registration TO94525.

N° del telaio : 915694
N° del motore : 923798
Tipo : 6C 2500 Super Sport
Carrozzeria :trasformabile 2 posti
Certificato di origine : 25 march 1949

and then list of owners :

first owner : Goffredo Zehender

7 may 1949 : sold to Mario Magliano (Torino) / Touring Club Italiano

17 july 1950 : sold to Giuseppina or Giuseppe ? Turretta

18 juillet 1950 : trasferimento to Varese but registration VA unknow

Pévé

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Here are informations from PRA Torino about registration TO94525.

first owner : Goffredo Zehender
Thanks for posting this info. The car seems to be fitting for Zehender, who had quite a bit of a racing history, pre- and post-war (some on Alfa Romeo).

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems that Giuseppina Turretta (owner of 915694) was the wife of Count Giovanni Agusta, founder of Costruzioni Aeronautiche Agusta in Samarate.

In a previous post, PG1964 indicate that a owner of 915766 was Umberto Torretta, rather Umberto Turretta ... brother of Giuseppina ???

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Zehender and 915694

Grazie Pévé!

Please share also the date the Torino plate (TO94525) was issued. That date should appear fairly near the top of the PRA document in its own location. This will likely tell us if the car was loaned by Zehender or perhaps Magliano to either Hayworth/Khan or Alfa Romeo for the purposes of the newsreel?

Goffredo Zehender was the named customer for at least three 6C2500 cars in records still existing with Alfa Romeo. This was the earliest of the three. He was photographed with others examples as well. He may have received this car at a discount or as a defacto dealer or as payment or part-payment for other activities? He would perhaps also have been able to use some form of a PROVA plate on the car if he used it at all. From data collected about Torino plates numbered near to this, I suspect the TO94525 was first issued to Maglione?

I feel certain to have seen the name "Giuseppina Turretta" in the past, but do not seem to have it recorded in my computer … until now. I will try to pay more attention when (if) I run across it again.

If the Varese plate is not recorded in the Torino record, we may be able to find it anyway? However, I have found that modern requests for a visura (from the PRA) do not always include all the pages of the document. If you did not receive at least three pages (one of which may have been blank?) then there may be more for us if another request is made at no cost (?) if you can show the document you paid for is incomplete?

Oh … and it seems this car (915694) exists today?

Di nuovo, la ringrazio!

John

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Grazie TISUP!

Thank you for sharing!

From this portion of the PRA-Torino record, we know that Mario Magliano's father was "Michele" and that Michele was no longer alive at the time of the record date of 7 May 1949. Occasionally such notes are not correct, so this detail is not absolutely certain. Also note that the 7 May record date actually documents official legal actions of 6 May.

We also know that Goffredo Zehender's father's name was "Rodolfo" … with the same caveat.
Note also that some period references spell Zehender's given name as "Geoffredo".

The Torino plate (TO94525) was issued 6 May 1949 for Mario Magliano, so he was the legal owner of the car when it was used in the newsreel footage.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The good old days

I just started to go though a stack of "Alfa Owner" magazines.
I came across an ad in the Oct 1985 issue to sell a couple of .
6C2500's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thank you "samakijoe",

The first ad you shared (from "L. Newman") shows a cabriolet by Pinin Farina and should be chassis 915831.

The second ad shows a cabriolet by Stabilimenti Farina on chassis 915670.

It would be good for our studies to learn the body number(s) for either or both of these cars!

And more?

Thanks again for sharing!

John

·
Registered
440 Posts
I found a little more information on the 6C2500 history.
In the Dec. 1979 issue of the Chicago Alfa Romeo Owners Club.
The news letter was called SOTTO but that name was dropped around 1990.

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts