Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am representing a 49 6c2500SS Pininfarina Cabriolet beleived to have been owned by Rita Hayworth. VIN 915871 motor 928182. The car is still mostly together, the engine is apart and partially rebuilt. Long term owner has had the car for over 40 years and it has been stored since 57.

Any idea where we can verify its ownership history? Anybody want it? So many questions so little time...

Shawn Miller
Significant Cars Inc
Indianapolis

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
FYI: The car is briefly mentioned in this post. Two brief glimpses of the car were caught in this French newsreel from 1949. The 6C 2500 register may have more information about ownership history (to the extent it was shared by previous owners).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Here's the relevant stills from the French 1949 newsreel.

The newsreel car appears to have a T in the origin code which may be TN for Trento. The newsreel speaker says something about "Lac de Garde", and Lake Garda is in the Trento region. If you google for Rita Hayworth and "Alfa Romeo", you'll find a.o. a painting of a blue 6C2500 with Milano plates. The latter is obviously artistic license.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
This is interesting, because some years ago, Nort Newman of Tarzana had found in Sepulveda Hills in a garage a 6C2500 SS that was originally green in color. He negotiated for 5 years to buy the car and subsequently restored the car, and painted it a beautiful red. This car along with his 6c2500 Sport in Blue were featured in a magazine. After Norts passing the widow sold the car in running condition to a gentleman on the east coast. I lost track of it after that. I am sure someone on the 6c2500 Register knows of its where abouts.
Rita Hayworth, was given the car by Prince Ali Khan a rich playboy, at the time. To my knowledge there are not any pictures of her with the car, but with Hollywood archives, anything thing is possible.
Ask Marco at the Alfa archives the history of this car you are selling to verify that this is the car Rita Hayworth/Ali Khan do indeed have a connection.
BTW...I drove the red SS to the Santa Barbara Concours. That had to be one of the highlights of my Alfa experiences. I broke one of the torsion bars and had to block up the rear axle to get there and back. Oh what fun that was fixing that on the 101 freeway. Imagine the top down, red Alfa, brown interior, sunny day...you get the picture. I felt like I was a Hollywood star. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello Shawn,

I asked for the red 6C2600 PF cabriolet that you brought to the Detroit AROC convention in 2007, but was unable to get the blue Rita Hayworth 6C2500.
The artist of the painting mentioned in this thread came to the show because she was working from photographs and had little idea of the scale of the car. She looked over the Toronto and Indianapolis 6C's we had on display to help do the painting.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
interesting

well if the car pictured above is her car, this isnt it. This car has pretty unusual front end treatment-see
1949 Alfa Romeo - Significant Cars, Inc.. T

This car did however come out of France. Hey the car above looks just like my car...yeah...thats the ticket! My car is the elusive Rita Hayworth car. HA!

Seriously, will contact Ms Braden to see if those records are helpful to either me or my client, Thanks guys. will keep you posted.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The blue car that I have photos of, reputedly the Hayworth car, looked different than the Barn Find and was in excellent condition (judging from the photos and comments the owner submitted). It is a Pinin Farina cabriolet If I recall correctly, but differs in details from yours and and looks similar to the photos posted by TorW. It may have been shown at Amelia Island in 2007. I think the owner lives in England, but the car stays in near the southeast US coast. Gotta dig through my old convention files to confirm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sorry, Shawn, but the Chris Osborne painting shows the reputed Hayworth Alfa, and it was restored just as you see it in the painting (although the actual car is a blue more like the darker area in the door).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Here's a couple of more stills from a Movietone newsreel shot May 5, 1949, showing the 6C2500 SS from other angles. It's apparently from the same media outing at Khan's residence as the French newsreel. The Alfa is obviously displayed for the press to gawk at. The commentator says that the Alfa Romeo is "said to cost £5000". Also, the Movietone newsreel commentator says that Khan's villa is "on the riviera, not far from Nice". In other words not on Lago di Garda as I said above, but Italy is just a few kms away in any case when you're in Nice. The clip was filmed some three weeks before the wedding reception which was held in the same location.

No Borranis on this one ...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Shawn,

I was out of state, when I originally saw the post about the Rita Hayworth car and did not have any resources to check the chassis and engine number against.

Neither the chassis number nor engine number appear on my 1967 list entitled "Alfa Romeo Section of the V.S.C.C."

This is what is in the appendici of Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 by Angelo Tito Anselmi, p. 258:

Telaio numero: 915.871

Motore numero: 928.182

Appront. del telaio: 12.10.1949

Consegna vettura: 15.04.50

Carrozziere: Pinin Farina

Forma del Carrozzera: Cabriolet

C: -

Primo Acquirente: Goffredo Zehender, Milano

E: E

I hope some of this information is helpful in determining or tracking what car you actually have, keeping in mind that others have pointed out that the Anselmi book does have some errors or discrepancies, if I'm not mistaken. But it does show that the engine number and chassis number were originally built together and have not been changed, providing that no one has re-stamped to make them appear to match as original.

It appears from some of the recent comments that with the differences cited that two different cars may actually be confused, which will take some sorting out to be sure.

It appears to have been originally built or sold in December of 1949, but not to Kazan; it was sold in Milano instead of France. I have an issue with how a car could be produced or sold on approximately December 10, 1949, but appeared in a newsreel dated May 5, 1949, some 7 months or so earlier.

A little additional information from Guide to the Identification of Alfa Romeo Cars by Maurizio Tabucchi, p. 50:

"No significant modifications to the following models, except for variations to the bodywork:

...6C 2500 Super Sport (type 1947). Chassis from 915718 to 915890."

From Pininfarina Catalogue Raisonne, Volume 2, p.188:

The only thing I can find that matches the grill configuration shown in the picture that you linked to on your site is a 1949 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 T Berlina; the grill configuration is identical as far as the small circles under the headlights and the unique angled cut to each side of the grill; however the hood and the rest of the car do not match. I cannot find a cabriolet with this grill configuration so it causes me to wonder...

Maybe someone with the Catalogue and better eye sight than I have can shed some light on the situation and identify the car and justify its status or authenticity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much..while you have that stuff out my car is 915811, and I know very little of its early history, just where it was delivered based on Anselmis book. It won the Braden Award at the 2007 national Meet which was a great honor- we cherish the award and it is prominately displayed in our home.

Shawn

·
Registered
298 Posts
1949 Rita Hayworth 6c2500

Found the 2006 photo of the reputed 6c2500 PF Rita Hayworth Alfa Romeo.
This is the car the from which Chris Osborne did the painting and I tried to have at the 2007 AROC convention.
However, yours and the one from Toronto were great to have in the concours.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Thanks so much..while you have that stuff out my car is 915811, and I know very little of its early history, just where it was delivered based on Anselmis book. It won the Braden Award at the 2007 national Meet which was a great honor- we cherish the award and it is prominately displayed in our home.

Shawn
Shawn,

I'll try and work on your car this weekend; I have a publisher that needs copies of contracts that I need to pull and copy plus I have to work so that I can pay my bills; teenage daughters think money grows on trees.

In the meantime, here's the story behind the concours Pat Braden People's Choice Award that you have. I assume you're talking about the glass blown bowl with purple and red in the glass that Eric made.

It was the bowl that I had selected to buy and Eric had set it aside for me. The morning of the Awards Luncheon, Eric came to me and told me that he needed to use it as the People's Choice Award, to which I agreed. Needless to say, after I was left standing in Detroit at the Awards Luncheon holding this beautiful glass blown bowl that I loved, with no recipient to present it to, I now know who to blame. That particular award does have a special significance to me, plus the fact that Detroit was Pat's home chapter, to which I still belong. I'm truly sorry that I didn't get to meet you and present the award to you. I'm so glad that you love it as much as I did and it certainly deserves a honored place in your home. Belated congratulations!!!

As an aside, Eric, if you're reading this I'm still waiting and willing to buy a replacement glass blown bowl with purple and red to replace the one that Shawn has.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The blue car shown above looks similiar to the red 6c2500SS that Nort Newman owned but the bumper is all wrong for that car unless it came from the factory that way. The red car was sold to a gentleman on the east coast. After that, I lost contact with him. The car before being shipped had a new torsion bar installed. According to the new owner, the car had a oil leak out of the front main seal. Other than this information I have very little to add. The car did acquire a Euro short wave radio that was rebuilt to recieve Euro broadcasts. That much I do recall. I wonder where that magazine is that I have showing both of Norts' cars on the cover?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheryl,

I was sorry i couldnt attend the awards ceremony but the car was entered at Meadowbrook and they want you there fairly early. I think I had no choice there The little avatar picture is the car at Meadowbrook.

Thanks again. I know all about Teenage girls I have 3...2 are now in college. Just wait until that happens!

Shawn

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Possible Rita Hayworth 6C 2500 SS FS

Cheryl,

I was sorry i couldnt attend the awards ceremony but the car was entered at Meadowbrook and they want you there fairly early. I think I had no choice there The little avatar picture is the car at Meadowbrook.

Thanks again. I know all about Teenage girls I have 3...2 are now in college. Just wait until that happens!

Shawn
Shawn,

The oldest daughter was not the challenge of the younger one, she has a BA, MA, and appears to be a perpetual student. She's studying to take her state boards in radiology after the first of the year; is married and on her own.

The younger one is a senior this year in high school. Toying with the idea of physical therapy at this writing, tomorrow might bring something new, who knows. She feels that she was short-changed with her father's death at age 10.

Good luck with your girls...sounds like they are heading down a rewarding and hopefully, successful path; although, trying for parents at the time.

I don't have a lot to add on your car's provenance; however, I'll be happy to send you the summary, if you send me an e-mail address.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Shawn, some times ago an adv appeared on finecars.cc.
The name of Rita Hayworth was on the registration documents, but it could not mentioned the VIN. This was the 1951 6C 2500SS:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re-reading the previous posts you understand that the car
was bought in Italy, its plate is Trento (seeing the movie).
The cases are two: it was bought used, or has been bought new and then the dealer, or some friend of the prince, did the license plate and export it as used car to pay less taxes.
I've done a little investigation: the marriage was celebrated on May 27 1949 so, by reasoning logically, the car should have been built before that date.
Last 6C 2500 produced and delivered in 1949, in November, is the No.915.779. The Rita's car should be earlier. However we do not know when the car was donated to her precisely. In fact, according Anselmi's book, the Rita's car is the No. 915.776. These are the data:

chassis 915766 engine 928072 SuperSport cabriolet Pininfarina #__0228
19.4.49 "approntamento del telaio"
31.10.50 origine
4.12.50 Prince Aly Kahn – Como (for Rita Hayworth)
CO30xxx
1953 Srl Weaver Gildo Guenzain
VA36xxx
Umberto Torretta
1956 Michele Vernola – Milano (dealer)
Paul Forbes – CA, USA
Phelps Hobart
4/1991 Knute Kolmann - CA, USA
RF suspension unit # S.S.964.897.0
Claudio Ferioli – Italy

I hope i was helpful.
Regards.