Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 1988 Spider Graduate, I wonder if this would fit? I don't care about it locking, but it is all that I have found so far.

It is 60 mm internal diameter, and the threads like like they are about right (fine).

steve

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Reactions: bjwhite

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
"It is 60 mm internal diameter, and the threads look like they are about right (fine)"

is yours any different to the early S4 gas cap (I know the later type S4 cap is different)?
I wouldn't have thought so...mine is just a solid screw cap, rubber gasket, no vent.

I measured the thread pitch on mine to be 2,0mm ...not that fine;)

there is a used OEM one on ebay, for 20 bucks
rubber seal is missing but that you can make yourself (60mm OD x 50mm ID x 2mm thick)
Alfa Romeo Spider - Gas Tank Cap | eBay

or buy an OEM seal to go with it, also on ebay (but then your gas cap starts getting pretty darn expensive)
Alfa Romeo Spider Gas Cap Gasket 60521853 | eBay

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I have not been able to check if I have one yet but Alfa Parts Exchange should definitely have one.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
788 Posts
The gas cap is rather unique. I've never seen this style on any other car. Well not that i can recall...would any autoparts stores even carry it?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
The gas cap is rather unique. I've never seen this style on any other car. Well not that i can recall...would any autoparts stores even carry it?
I seriously doubt they would

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
i have a couple caps. You pay shipping.
cheers, Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'd could go to NAPA, they have a huge selection of gas caps and can get one that fits your car.
The days when you can walk into NAPA or any other "car parts store" and have an experienced person look at a part and say"I have seen this before, I believe we have something that will work", are nearly gone. The usual is that they ask for the vehicle model, year, etc, and then if they don't have it, you can forget it. Sometimes they will rummage through their caps, but usually not especially when there is a huge selection and they do not have the knowledge to narrow it down. The website on NAPA gives no result for my vehicle.But I could have missed it.

The one on ebay is pretty cruddy and for

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
The days when you can walk into NAPA or any other "car parts store" and have an experienced person look at a part and say"I have seen this before, I believe we have something that will work", are nearly gone. The usual is that they ask for the vehicle model, year, etc, and then if they don't have it, you can forget it. Sometimes they will rummage through their caps, but usually not especially when there is a huge selection and they do not have the knowledge to narrow it down. The website on NAPA gives no result for my vehicle.But I could have missed it.

The one on ebay is pretty cruddy and for
Very sad and true Steve
Today's parts store employees would ask you if you want fries with it or to supersize it if the computer prompted them.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
sbl ....pm sent

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I doubt any of those will fit...the mr. fiat is too small at 47mm and the alfaholics looks identical part, and looks too small.
the 2 from delP I wouldn't trust without seeing some photos and asking the diameter and everything else.

in any case not2old4toys has offered the OP the correct one for postage costs...can't beat that deal!
:)

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I doubt any of those will fit...the mr. fiat is too small at 47mm and the alfaholics looks identical part, and looks too small.
the 2 from delP I wouldn't trust without seeing some photos and asking the diameter and everything else.

in any case not2old4toys has offered the OP the correct one for postage costs...can't beat that deal!
:)
Well, he had told me in a PM that a new one should be out there somewhere so that is why I posted those links.
The rest is up to whoever might be interested to do the research.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts