Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends,

So my car broke down on the freeway tonight. Before I get into detail let me describe some symptoms the car was having before.

I think I was having some trouble with my fuel pump because occasionally, especially when the car was cold, I would step on the accelerator and the engine would sort of hesitate before it revved, kind of like pinching a water hose closed and then suddenly opening the stream.

Anyways, I was on the freeway tonight at I heard a soft pop followed by absolutely zero response from my accelerator. As I slowed down I briefly smelled something burning but that quickly disappeared.

The starter will crank but the car will not turn over.

I'll have a much better idea when its not 2am and I can look under the hood, but my initial thought is a fuel pump that decided to finally say "**** it".

Anybody have any guesses for what I described?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
What model/year Alfa is it? Can't diagnosis without that bit of vital information.

When you say it will crank but not turn over, what does that mean . . . .

1. When you turn the key to the run position, do you get the normal electrics?

2. When you turn the key to the "start" position, does the starter crank (rotate) the engine normally?

3. When you crank the engine over, does the engine feel like it wants to start (some cylinders firing)? Or is it just feel dead?

4. Are any of the fuses blown?

5. Can you hear the fuel pump running down by the right wheel area?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
yes, model is helpful!........is it the 84 that you posted a speedo problem with?

Maybe that "soft pop" was the big air hose going over the engine slipping off.....worth checking first off, as you won't get far without it being on securely:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1984 spider veloce.

electrics are all fine.

starter cranks but will not turn over.

engine feels like it could start but is just not firing up.

fuses are fine.

and yes its the same alfa with the speedo problem. these problems seem unrelated to each other.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
if you are sure the big air hose is good, then check for decent spark.

if that is good look at fuel supply......if tank is less than half full, fill it and see what happens (your 84 has an in tank fuel pump with a hose that if leaks, can lead to loss of fuel supply pressure to main undercar fuel pump.....that small hose sits at about half level inside the tank, hence filling it over half, to test that possibility)
Check of course that in tank pump is operating with a live feed (+ve) to the pink/white wire and ground (-ve) to the black wire (easily accessible from top of the tank)......it should hum away happily!

Have you checked the fuel relay under the back seat area, near the ecu?....and its separate 8A fuse?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.