Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can change the tubes very easy.. i am not useing oem linkage, but red/rose ends..... having troble with my ecotec conversion, engin and tranny in the car, great fit... but i need have my centre ( long ) link to clear the transmission bellhousing,, as the part of the link is mounter to the rear of the car,, the links that go to the arms are next to the crossmember,,..if i put the centre link in that location,, i belive it should fit, without interfearing with the bellhousing the centre link just doesnt go left and right,, it move left to right in a arch.. i can move the outer links to the arms to the rear bolt in area.. sorry, trying to explane this best as i can.. here are some photos
1542945797_20181122_133523_mmthumb.jpg
1545016551_20181211_143254_mmthumb.jpg
1542945934_20181122_131316_mmthumb.jpg

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this , if i install the links to the steering arm to the lower area, it will make ' bump steer ; adjustments easier

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
easier thought.. can i just exchange steering links location?

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
I believe arm locations should be the same on the pitman arm and idler arm. Changing the position might change the ratio or the Ackerman. But im not an expert.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I believe arm locations should be the same on the pitman arm and idler arm.
Yes, definitely. If the rods aren't set up symmetrically, the steering is going to be very weird.

Changing the position might change the ratio or the Ackerman.
Yes again. At a minimum, the steering will be much "slower". That is, the wheels will turn through a lesser angle for a given input at the steering wheel and steering effort will be decreased. The steering box may not have enough travel to be able to rotate the pitman arm through a large enough angle to turn the spindles to full lock.

This assumes that I understand what Bianchi2 is proposing to do, which I'm not 100% certain that I do. In his first picture in post #1, it looks like he has already swapped the locations of the center and outer rods in the arms. Right?

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
I do not see any reason why the centre link (that goes from steering box across to the idler) cannot be in the same place as the links that go out to the wheel hubs, as long as both sides are the same. As you are using rose joints, you would just need longer bolts. Alfa Romeo used different holes/places so they could use ball joints, and to position this centre link to clear their bellhousing, etc.

Pete

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
not going to work.. i lower the engine ....way down :eek: .... so i must use the rear mounts on the arms for the centre link... just a question.... the 16 mm grade 10.9 bolts will be 4 inchs long..(really they are longer than that.). i just cut off the unneeded threads.. i am sitting the rose joints\ rod end on the un threaded shake part of the bolt...there will be spacer between the rod end and the steering arm.. no way around this.. engine is as far back as i can get it, and as low as i can get it.. raising the engine will not help . the spacer willbe m16 i.d. o.d will be 22 mm steel bush...mo one said an engine conversion
images (16).jpg
is a walk in the park.... the thread lenght will be cut to 44 mm

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
Steering rack in front of engine

Pete

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no room. i just well deal with it,, a grade 10,9 bolt for the center link is more than strong enough for a simple left to right motion

·
Registered
what part?
10,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but i got the motor and franny low and as far back as i could, with out sitting with the engine in pass. seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts