Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible (probably) that the crank position sensors even when they read good via the ohm test as outlined on the LJET GUIDE are bad ...? If they are in fact bad, one or both would this cause a no spark condition?
Thank you all.
VR
chris

·
Administrator
16,763 Posts
Yes. I helped a guy with a no-start issue - it'd crank fine but no spark. The sensors tested OK but when we removed them for inspection one had a dent in the end facing the flywheel. We replaced it with a used but known-good sensor and the engine started right up. I've also seen cases where the securing bolt fell out (threads were stripped). The sensor was then no longer in position (even though it tested OK at the wire harness connector end).

Also be aware that although they are identical they have to be connected to the wire harness correctly. The wire harness connectors are color coded (black & gray). Which one goes where is explained in the L-jet Diagnosis article.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I helped a guy with a no-start issue - it'd crank fine but no spark. The sensors tested OK but when we removed them for inspection one had a dent in the end facing the flywheel. We replaced it with a used but known-good sensor and the engine started right up. I've also seen cases where the securing bolt fell out (threads were stripped). The sensor was then no longer in position (even though it tested OK at the wire harness connector end).

Also be aware that although they are identical they have to be connected to the wire harness correctly. The wire harness connectors are color coded (black & gray). Which one goes where is explained in the L-jet Diagnosis article.
Thank you very much , it is about the only thing that I have not replaced, I have to laugh if not I would be crying!

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
with any VR sensor, and I am pretty sure the crank sensors are this type, the gap between the end of the sensor and the metal that it is detecting is critical. If the gap is too large then the signal from the sensor falls away quickly. The dent mentioned above may have prevented the sensor from being close enough.
So examine your sensors and the housing to ensure that they are fully inserted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts