Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this previoulsy under carb and f.i. section but got no response. I apologize to those of you seeing this for a second time.

I know from reading posts that some have sealed fuel tanks with a POR-15 type cleaner/sealer. I have my fuel tank removed to clean & paint trunk so I thought maybe I should go ahead and seal the tank while I have it out. It doesn't really have much rust so I could possibly do without. I'm also installing Greg's silicon hose kit.

My concern is with the very small inlet areas that allow fuel into the metal baffle at the bottom of the tank. Has anyone done POR-15 on the inside of a tank and did it close up those inlet holes? I assume as long as the fuel level does not get real low it won't matter that the holes get restricted or plugged.
Anyone?:confused:

Dale
'82 Spider w/ F.I.

·
Administrator
16,626 Posts
I used the POR-15 products to treat & seal the fuel tank in our '84 Spider. I'm not sure what inlet holes you are asking about. On our car the fuel pick-up & return lines all come out with the sender unit.

There are some pictures in the Alfa section of my home page. (This link goes to the 'fuel tank' page.)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
My concern is with the very small inlet areas that allow fuel into the metal baffle at the bottom of the tank. Has anyone done POR-15 on the inside of a tank and did it close up those inlet holes? I assume as long as the fuel level does not get real low it won't matter that the holes get restricted or plugged.
Anyone?:confused:

Dale
'82 Spider w/ F.I.
I believe backfeeder (or similiar name) has done his tank recently with POR 15. I must say, I love POR 15, it is a really, really good epoxy paint!!! Your best bet is doing as much as you can with the paint, if clogging those holes worries you, put a cork in them and paint over the corks, when it dries, it'll be a little difficult to remove the corks, but not impossible. I've never seen the inside of my tank, not sure how "small" those holes are, don't think you'd have any problem doing the procedure with out even using the corks at all...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great pictures, thanks! My tank is the same as yours - all connections are on top. The holes I'm talking about are part of the metal baffle system affixed to the bottom of the tank (on the inside). They're not really holes but just small gaps in the bottom of the metal baffle to allow fuel in & out of the actual baffle area. By the shape of the large opening in the baffle, it appears that the pick-up "sock" nestles in this area.

I'll see if I can get pictures of the inside of the tank to turn out. However, if you did the POR-15 fuel tank process and everything is working OK, it must be fine.

I'm down the road in Chapel Hill so I would like to see your Alfa sometime (I've still got your earlier email - thanks). If ever in Chapel Hill, stop by - I'm in the book. thanks for your help.

Dale
'82 Spider w/ F.I.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dale, its true that i just did coat my tank with Por-15. The area in question will not plug up as long as you follow the instructions and swirl the paint...by rotating the tank....and don't let it sit at the bottom until it has hardened. One mistake I did make was to not plug the small screw holes at the top of the tank...they hold the fuel pump and float assembly...and as a consequence had to tap them all when I was done. Being a '93 my spider didn't have much rust to speak of but the tank was out and I am rebuilding the car bolt by bolt so I gave it the treatment.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Dale, its true that i just did coat my tank with Por-15. The area in question will not plug up as long as you follow the instructions and swirl the paint...by rotating the tank....and don't let it sit at the bottom until it has hardened. One mistake I did make was to not plug the small screw holes at the top of the tank...they hold the fuel pump and float assembly...and as a consequence had to tap them all when I was done. Being a '93 my spider didn't have much rust to speak of but the tank was out and I am rebuilding the car bolt by bolt so I gave it the treatment.
I thought I had your name right-you are now dubbed, the BB expert at POR 15ing a tank!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I have a rusty Volvo 1800S (1963) tank I plan to do up with POR15's kit, so I'm really happy to have found this testimonial. Anything else to worry about? Do I leave the drain plug in the bottom of the Volvo tank in place during coating, or do I remove it and tape it up, maybe having to tap it later? It's not exactly clear to me. Maybe I should remove the plug after the coating is a couple of hours cured?

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts