Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there fellas,
Have any of u guys had your GTV6's stick pop out of 3rd gear under load? Another problem is the stick really shakes and rumbles in Fifth Gear over 4000 RPM.
I am wondreing if these problems may be related to lowering of rear to euro specs. Had springs put in quite awhile ago and didn't have popping out of gear problem then. Any similar experiences, suggestions?
Thanks a bunch,
Kurt

·
Registered
324 Posts
hmm, sounds as if the transaxle is out of line. which may also have bent your propshaft hence the vibration. I would put the car on stands, back off all the gear box mounts, shunt the unit about a bit if you can, and run througth all the gears on the stands, to allow the transaxle to correct itself if its out of line. Then do all the mounts back up. Also check your selector rod is not bent, is the shift stick inside in the same position it was?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't think they would be cause by lowering the rear end, the rear trans mount is to the body and not effected by the lowering springs. Does the stick rattle as bad in the other gears? If not it sort of sounds like worn syncros and sleeves. How many miles on the trans?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Check the transaxle mounts. Also check the center support for the driveshaft. Did this happen all at once or has it gradually gotten worse?

Paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input

Thanks fellas,
This gives me a few things to check out. Stick rattles only in fifth gear accelerating over 4500 rpm passing thru 90 mph. Any additional throttle to increase speed above 90 mph will increase deep rattle sound. (Thinking highest torque situations) Stick popping out of 3rd gear happened suddenly. Tranny has about 110,000 miles, never had any grinding etc.
Thanks again for the advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts