Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put new kits in the Webers, and am currently waiting for new ignition parts. The engine has an irregular, indeterminant hiccup / pop that gives reports from both the intake and the exhaust at idle. It's not specific to any one cylinder and doesn't occur under acceleration.

I carefully cleaned the old points and the badly carborized dizzy cap thinking I might have some electrical arc tracking causing a crossover spark. The point gap was reset to .016. The engine is really torquey now in the lower RPM's and smooth right through 5500.

The apparent intermittent discharge is sufficiently strong enough to affect the aerial pickup of local stations in the TV (static), so I am relatively sure that it is an electrical problem. It seems very similar to the problems that used to be encountered with unsuppressed ignitions and AM radio reception, but it's been so long that I can't recall how to remedy the problem. (I will be replacing all the ignition wires when all the new ignition parts are in place.)

About the only thing I can come up with, and can't remedy as yet, is a possible issue with the distributor condensor. Right now I can't find one as it is a model peculiar to the Euro Junior 1300.

Ok all you electrical wizards, let's here it.

Thank you

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I did some Jr dizzy research just the other day and found that the Series 1 & Series 2 Jrs use either a Bosch 041 (two piece points) or a Bosch 044 (one piece points) dizzy which are the same dizzys fitted to the Euro 1750s. These condensors are readily available.
Which distributor do you have?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It must be the 44 because it takes one piece points.
Yeah It's me Jim, Tim

Yes, I thought it was curious too that they had the points and rotor but not the cap or the condensor.

I just spent the last two hours at a closed down foreign car shop sorting through hundreds of boxes, of mostly Beck/Arnley parts , and stumbled across an original Ricambi ignition lock set for a 105.??? (.30 maybe) that may have been ordered for my very car some 20 years ago. I spent $20 on the chance that it might replace the current one, which has jammed and won't go through to the starter solenoid contact. Although it does function otherwise.

So anyone with any hints on the pops?

And here's a picture of the dizzy and condensor set. I believe the Bosch / Germany condensor number is 1237 330 295 and then a 151 . You might be able to read it.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts