Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am wondering if someone can give me some advice regarding problems i've got after recently fitting a Pertronix Ignitor.

First of all the car is a 68 roundtail 1300 Junior, standard twin 40 weber carbs.

Replaced existing points in standard Bosch distributor with Pertronix, dizzy cap & rotor are pretty new as are the HT leads, replaced coil with Bosch blue as existing one was very old, plugs replaced mid last year.

The problem, when i start from cold it takes somewhile to get the motor to idle right, i timed the engine according to the manual @ 3deg/1000rpm but of course with unleaded fuel this tends to go out the window so i've advanced it to 10deg, carbs are balanced right with syncrometer and mixture screws 1/2 a turn out which seems the best setting.

Plugs are continually fouling as they did before and whilst it runs fine when warm it is worse at cold than when the points were in, i now have it running on three cylinders only but this may be in an effort to get it to run right, the spark plug on No3 looks bad.

Any tips on the best way to time the engine and how far should you advance it, and any clues why the plugs keep fouling:)

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
Plugs are continually fouling as they did before and whilst it runs fine when warm it is worse at cold than when the points were in, i now have it running on three cylinders only but this may be in an effort to get it to run right, the spark plug on No3 looks bad.
So you're saying that the plugs fouled before the Pertronix was installed? So, I'm puzzled why you characterize this as a Pertronix problem, or even an ignition problem.

How's your compression? If you are confident that the Webers are set correctly, and the ignition is all new, then what else is left?

Or, if the compression is OK, what about your carb mounts, or other sources of air leakage?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs had a thin black soot on them, not heavily fouled, i've checked carb mounts and carbs for leaks, no evidence.

The thing is i replaced the points, never touched the carbs etc, retimed according to manual but on cold startup it struggles to idle properly more than it did on points until it's warmed up a bit.

Is there a "safe" limit to advance the timing as it seems to run better at idle with more advance but when checked with a strobe it is way in excess of the stated figure.:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts