Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because it took 5 days of grossly noxious labor to clean out the mud and sludge from the bottom of my '64 Giulia's original fuel tank, I decided, "No Mas!" There was so much sludge in the old tank that the PO had to keep the tank 3/4 full in order to slop gas over the stabilizing cylinder (the two lower entrance holes had long been sludged over) to feed the crappy inlet filter/line. I cut that original tank open and cleaned it out until only wisps of dust remain. But there had to be a better way to prevent the annual fermenting and varnishing of 13 gallons of gasoline year over wintering year for a lightly-driven Alfa. I decided to build a Pony Tank that could temporarily deliver clean gas through new fuel lines to my 32-36 Weber carb. I found a 1.3 gal lawn mower tank with a workable rectangle shape and built a safety cage for it to fit in place of the old tank. Given the obvious fuel supply limitations, I wanted fuel level information sent up to the Veglia guages. I experimented with alternate fuel level senders including a Willis Jeep prospect and settled on a delightfully workable inexpensive VW sender and adapted it for the 30-110 ohm Veglia circuit and then played 'ship in a bottle' and stuffed it into the tank along with through-tank sealed wires attached to the original red/white Guilia sender wires. The next step was to design the fittings and lines so that I could quickly undo and remove the Pony tank and install the old 13 gal beater. I used refrigeration 5/16 flare fittings to enable a quick switch out between tanks. That left the nagging issue of a safe fuel fill in the trunk. I built a twist-on sealing vapor cover that sits over over the pony tank's fill spout in the trunk and seals out vapors. Overall, it took four months of persistent work to make a driver out of this Spyder but months of rocker and suspension work still remain. This small temporary tank allows me to drive between stage/phases of future underside rocker/suspension work. A Pony tank is not for everyone, nor is it novel, but it is working perfectly for my 5 mile runs to the grocery store as well as occasional travels over local country roads. In my opinion, the old oversized outdated 13 gallon noxious E10 moisture absorbing tank fermentors are not suited for today's lightly driven order Alfas. I value original components in all instances and that is why I went to extra lengths to rescue the original tank as well as to design-in the quick change out
Electrical wiring Gas Wire Cable Electrical supply
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Electrical wiring
Wood Motor vehicle Line Vehicle door Gas
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Hood Red
Colorfulness Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wood
Tire Wheel Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire
from the Pony Tank to the old tank. I also liked that the Pony tank allowed options for quick octane and additives experiments as well as freeing axle space for jack points. I hope to add a few future notes about the refurbishing the old tank. A last update is that I am presently replacing the older engine compartment 'pull' fuel pump (I grew weary of sucking and spitting priming gas) with a Weber-suitable 2 PSI 'push' pump mounted near the rear axle. Pictures: 1) Presently mounted Pony Tank. 2) The build stage 3) VW sender with mounting bracket that is fished in through the opening Cap 4) Vapor cap under which is the Pony tank fill top - all designed to be quickly removed when the original big tank is reinstalled 5) Pony fill top 6) View of the VW sender float riding within the tank

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,967 Posts
I'm impressed.
I'm impressed too, but have this nagging feeling that a simpler solution would have been:

Still, it's a good anti-theft measure. Unless the thief is accustomed to driving oversized pick-ups, and expects the gas gauge to go to "E" after 30 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts