Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post some of your favorites:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

"Hundreds of millions of people will soon perish in smog disasters in New York and Los Angeles...the U.S. life expectancy will drop to 42 years by 1980."

--Paul Ehrlich, Ramparts, 1969

"The continued rapid cooling of the earth since WWII is in accord with the increase in global air pollution associated with industrialisation, mechanisation, urbanisation and exploding population"

--Reid Bryson, "Global Ecology: Readings towards a Rational Strategy for Man", 1971

"The world's climatologists are agreed...Once the freeze starts, it will be too late."

--Douglas Colligan in Science Digest, 1975.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

'I didn't have sex with that woman', Bill Clinton 1998:cool:

·
Registered
461 Posts
"I don't recall".... ---271---

Number of times Bill Clinton said "I don't recall" or its equivalent in the released portions of his testimony on Paula Jones.

·
Registered
461 Posts
"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton.
- (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In keeping with the theme::)

"If no strong action is taken [on global cooling], it will cause world famine, and world chaos, and this could come about by the year 2000.

---Lowell Ponte, "The Cooling", 1976

At one time the definition of an intellectual was "Someone who could listen to the 'William Tell Overture' and not think of the 'Lone Ranger'."

At times of political hysteria, it seems that the qualifications of an intellectual are directly proportional to their excitability. Or perhaps excitability relates to the amounts of grant money that can be harvested, books sold, or fees commanded on the speaking circuit?

·
Registered
461 Posts
"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

October 10, 2002

Floor Speech of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
on S.J. Res. 45, A Resolution to Authorize the Use of
United States Armed Forces Against Iraq
As Delivered

·
Registered
461 Posts
"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
-Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

Gee, I guess George Bush wasn't the first after all........ Posted for all the Dems that have short memories.....

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
-Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

Gee, I guess George Bush wasn't the first after all........ Posted for all the Dems that have short memories.....
Funny, but that Albright quote sounds quite measured and rational (does it really sound hysterical to you?). I think the 'political hysteria' version goes something like this:

"We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."
Condoleezza Rice, 8 September 2002

·
Registered
649 Posts
And from our Fearless Leader

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the [Patriot] act could further alienate conservatives ...

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

From Capitol Hill Blue, by Doug Thompson, December 5, 2005

Yeah just a piece of paper paid for in blood Mr. President and yes it does trump you getting your way

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys--the last few posts are not on the theme, which is to place the latest big-time we'll control-your-life-or-else things are going to be catastrophic in perspective.

Do as they tell you, and the threats the hysterical are promoting will be eased.

Of interest, is that while those in society who are at fault are the same, the subject of hysteria is diametrically opposite to that of the 1970s.

"The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a
likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind."

--Nigel Calder, International Wildlife, June, 1975.

Of interest, is that those early but nevertheless fashionable and grave concerns were about the fate of people--now its the tough decision on how to reduce the population down to some 2 or 3 billion so the earth can again thrive.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
On 17 October 2007, at least 2 weeks after being told that the new National Intelligence Estimate would show that Iran quietly dropped its nuclear weapons program in 2003, George Bush offered this:

"We've got a leader in Iran who has announced that he wants to destroy Israel. So I've told people that, if you're interested in avoiding World War III, it seems like you ought to be interested in preventing them from having the knowledge necessary to make a nuclear weapon."

Is that back on theme?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Of interest, is that those early but nevertheless fashionable and grave concerns were about the fate of people--now its the tough decision on how to reduce the population down to some 2 or 3 billion so the earth can again thrive.

Hmmm.
In keeping with the theme of too many people on the planet, climate disasters, and war; The best way to reduce man's influence on the climate and reduce the population is to wage world wide war. Hey get rid of the folks and the planet will be happy, well, maybe only the "Nature Nazi's" will be happy.

Just throwing gas on the fire.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alex

All I did was quote some highly motivated climate experts and it prompted a few non sequiters about the constitution and President Bush.--weird.:confused:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts