Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a photo of the 164 poa valve. I will not have my 164 back until tomorrow and both my valves are with it. Classic auto air may be able to rebuild them, they asked me to send a picture.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Can someone post a photo of the 164 poa valve. I will not have my 164 back until tomorrow and both my valves are with it. Classic auto air may be able to rebuild them, they asked me to send a picture.

Thanks,

Mike
12V R12 version but same thing on 24V except for ports and calibration.

·
Premium Member
27,364 Posts
Alfa 164 EPR valve testing/adjusting (aka POA maybe)

You can not disaasmembe it as it is swaged together. On a proper test bench it maybe testable and able to be calibrated for proper flow only.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they rebuild the GM ones. They literally cut them open, repair, then TIG them back together. They sell a lot of them to the 60's-70's GM crowd.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve is right as always! :)

Just spoke to Classic Auto Air. This style valve is not rebuildable. They can not even modify one from R12 to 134.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
What is the purpose of a POA valve. Since my AC is being a PITA I am thinking of changing the valve. R-12 converted to R134. I got a R 134 expansion valve from Jason. Where can I get a 134 POA valve?

·
Premium Member
27,364 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, POA's are calibrated differently for R12 and R134.

I am surprised that some factory in China has not offered repros. Indeed, even for GM muscle cars, they are unobtanium.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the purpose of a POA valve. Since my AC is being a PITA I am thinking of changing the valve. R-12 converted to R134. I got a R 134 expansion valve from Jason. Where can I get a 134 POA valve?
I would NOT convert any system to r134. Plenty of R12 out there.

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
I would NOT convert any system to r134. Plenty of R12 out there.
Why not? I did. But I flushed all lines, put in R134 POA valve, compressor, expansion valve and it blows super cold. 35F-40F up to about 95F ambient temp, 100F++, 45F+/- little higher sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just do not think it is worth the effort and cost to have a less efficient system. only reason might be if you are having a shop do the work and they no longer have the equipment to service r12. If your r12 poa valve is good then why replace it with an expensive used one for 134?

I just replaced / rebuilt the system on my Porsche 914 including new lines. Kept it R12 and it is almost too cold to use at lowest setting.

·
Premium Member
27,364 Posts
I am still running R12 in my 164B Originale and my new BB2 the 164S still has R12.

BB1 the 164L came to me converted and really has pretty cool a/c. My now demised 164B w/AT was converted by me after compressor threw a rod and I had to flush the system and it came out cold after the repair and conversion.

My service shop only charges me $25 for R12 and $11 for R134a. I do the 134 servicing myself at home though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also note that once you convert from R134 to R12 it is technically illegal to convert back. While I doubt the EPA will come busting down your door, unless maybe you are a commercial shop, once converted there is no going back.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Also note that once you convert from R134 to R12 it is technically illegal to convert back. While I doubt the EPA will come busting down your door, unless maybe you are a commercial shop, once converted there is no going back.
I think you mean R12 to R134a, it would be illegal to go back to R12 after R134a, correct?
Charles

·
Registered
573 Posts
You're lucky to be able to obtain R12. Around here it's pretty much unobtainium, those that can get some usually hide it in R134 bottles to avoid a hefty fine, and I can't think of a way to be sure I'm not being sold R134 for R12. I'll have a talk with an Indian engineer that works on refrigerators and hvac systems around here, people say he can get refrigerators working better than new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts