Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My 164 was screeching when shifting into gears, so have decided to replace it with a new clutch kit. The kit came with 3 components, Disc, Pressure Plate, and T/O Brg.

Read here that I should also replace a ball bearing to the new overload roller bearing. Where could I purchase this item from in south cal?

I noted SKF nj206, is that the correct roller bearing? Could I use an identical bearing from FAG, that's also nj206?

What else am I missing to get my Alfa shifting smoothly, for the long haul? I miss driving it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I'm not sure a clutch kit is going to fix it. What exactly is your car doing? Could you describe a little better what is going on here? Does it make noises when you push in the clutch? Is the clutch super heavy, any binding in the clutch pedal or mushyness, etc. A new clutch will not fix an internal transmission problem.
Charles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank ChazzyD for the super quick reply.

The clutch was originally heavy, but one day, driving in the congested traffic of LA, the screeching noise started. The metal to metal sound only comes on when depressing the clutch pedal. Other than the sound, I was able to shift to all gears smoothly, and the car ran great when the clutch was not pressed on. Now, when I start the car, it would idle like normal, but just stepping on the clutch, the car would screech.

Similar problem was found on this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/26713-need-some-quick-help.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like something in the cluch, either a throwout bearing or a broken spring finger or something. You won't really know till you get the tranny off and peak inside. Once you are in there it's best to do the rear crankshaft seal, tranny seal/collar, and maybe even the tranny input bearing as you mentioned. You can tell if you have the old bearing or the updated one just by looking without taking apart the tranny. You'll probably also regret it if you don't rebuild the starter while you have it out, it's a bit of a pain. Good luck, don't rush it and have fun :)

Here are a couple of threads worth reading, there are a few more if you do some searching.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/54349-164l-clutch-change-hints-tips.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/45683-164-ls-clutch-question.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/48568-picture-support-roller-input-shaft-bearing.html

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
Thank ChazzyD for the super quick reply.

The clutch was originally heavy, but one day, driving in the congested traffic of LA, the screeching noise started. The metal to metal sound only comes on when depressing the clutch pedal. Other than the sound, I was able to shift to all gears smoothly, and the car ran great when the clutch was not pressed on. Now, when I start the car, it would idle like normal, but just stepping on the clutch, the car would screech.

Similar problem was found on this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/26713-need-some-quick-help.html

I think it is the TO bearing or clutch is so worn the rivets are now grinding on flywheel.

Here is the bearing you need. Confirm first that it was not replaced already and do it while you do the clutch, well worth the hassle.

Transmission Bearing ? Alfa Parts | Alfissimo International |

What kind of clutch did you use?

I now have B/L OEM clutches for $199.00 I prefer OEM with all clutches although the B/L can use aftermarket very well. Make sure the skim the flywheel as well.
Who is doing this job? Do you need a reference? My good friend Uwe in Culver City is the best!

Let me know if I can help?
jason

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
OK sounds like it does need a clutch which you already have. I think the aftermarket clutch I got from Jason it just great. It is the only clutch I have experienced in this car that doesn't shudder at all and is nice and light. I did have the flywheel resurfaced at the same time and I think it is a must. Do remove the throwout bearing sleeve at the input shaft of the tranny when you get the trans out and see if you have the new roller bearing or the old ball bearing type. You can be happy if that is already done. It is a serious task to teardown the trans to fit the new bearing, but it will make it more stout and ready for more miles. I have proven that even someone who has never done such a thing can do the input bearing task, so don't give up on the car if that is not already done.
Charles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really appreciate the help guys. This is such a wonderful forum, so helpful and fast. Thanks for your links and and advices.

The clutch kit I bought has a Sachs TO bearing, disc and pressure plate are Luk. I should have consulted with you all earlier, but will be using what I have, because there is a no return policy due to the mark down price.

Right now, I am hiring an experience and trustworthy mechanic to do the job at home, he works daily on Alfas near the Pasadena area. Thanks for suggesting Uwe in Culver City, I will need him for my windshield replacement and more difficult jobs down the road.

I'm praying it's the new roller bearing! Will definitely resurface the flywheel. Crossing my finger that all goes well. Miss driving this car, cause it definitely drives and feels better than most newer car, nothing quite like it ;)

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
Really appreciate the help guys. This is such a wonderful forum, so helpful and fast. Thanks for your links and and advices.

The clutch kit I bought has a Sachs TO bearing, disc and pressure plate are Luk. I should have consulted with you all earlier, but will be using what I have, because there is a no return policy due to the mark down price.

Right now, I am hiring an experience and trustworthy mechanic to do the job at home, he works daily on Alfas near the Pasadena area. Thanks for suggesting Uwe in Culver City, I will need him for my windshield replacement and more difficult jobs down the road.

I'm praying it's the new roller bearing! Will definitely resurface the flywheel. Crossing my finger that all goes well. Miss driving this car, cause it definitely drives and feels better than most newer car, nothing quite like it ;)
Good luck. Uwe does not install windshields. But I can recommend a place and if you need one windshield let me know. I have those as well.
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,907 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts