Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the input on the last thread regarding the starter not stopping. I bypassed the ignition and the same occurred, so I pulled and bench tested the starter. It seemed fine except the gear stayed out longer after the lead was removed. I could also manually pull the gear into the “flywheel contact” position with no resistance. Bad solenoid or starter gear? Did I mention this was a fresh rebuild?:mad:

In either case I pulled another starter off a spare 3.0L, tested and bolted in on. Test started fine but on the second attempt, the plenum popped off!:eek:

Fuel pressure seems fine, coil and wires are ok. Injectors are energized so why the misfire?

Could I have installed the distributor incorrectly?:confused: Cams and crank marks match but is it possible to have the distributor off somehow? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Normal cause is too much air in the plenum, either by a leaking air hose or a slightly open throttle, you did not happen to press the gas pedal while you were starting it? Not accusing you, just this is know to cause the pop...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No … I did not press the accelerator and the butterfly and throttle seems closed on startup. There are no noticeable air leaks as all vacuum hoses are new and snug.

I did, however, remove the distributor. Is there a possibility that I could have installed it reversed by 180 degrees causing the backfire? I thought it could only go in one way? I’m trying to install the distributor based on crank timing but since the crank spins 2x’s the speed of the cams could I be off ?:confused:

·
Registered
671 Posts
...I did, however, remove the distributor

Then this is a good place to begin. It is not unusual for the driven gear which is held in place by the distributor to 'lift' when removing the unit. When the gear falls back it can be out of allignment thus your distributor upon reinstallation will be out-of-time. Easy check / fix. Set motor at TDC and check that dist. rotor points to piston #1 (at firewall). If not, remove dist and adjust position of driven gear with pick-up magnet to correct.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just to be sure, might want to check your cam marks, some paint the marks on the gears so you don't have to pull the covers, if not you may want to pull one cover and see if the marks on the cam and the follower are lined up when you have the rotor pointed at Cyl #1.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Graham W and Sam W,

Both right!!!

I found the paint dots on the cam gears and they did not line up when I had matched the distributor position with the crank mark. The cam marks line up every other rotation with the crank so I was off when setting the distributor back in place!! I missed that:eek:

Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
i did that recently whilst replacing the cambelt... marked everything but that pulley, then realised once i went to time everthing up
kicking myself for being so silly!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Alive!!!!:eek:

Time to bolt in and hook up the radiator and I'm hitting the back roads of North Carolina. :cool: Thanks for all your help.

RAGs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts