Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you care to share please, tell us about how you came up with Your User Name?

Just like vanity plates on many of our cars some of yours are Clear if Only Known and others hold no secrets.

Unbelieveable number of members on the bulletin board: Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - Members List

As for my Alfisto Steve I chose, I guess Alfista would have been more correct for the singular form but if I had to do it over again I would still never mind and choose it anyway.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-topics-not-covered-elsewhere/189206-language-question-alfista-alfisti.html

What about yours?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Okay, here goes:

"Pinino", Spanish version of "Pinin" as in "Pininfarina" (his real name Battista, but known as "Pinin", something like runt of the family). My wife is Colombian thus the Spanish version. Plates on car same—easy to remember.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I dunno know Mr Steve, here in Italy Alfista is feminine and Alfisto, maschio...
jc96 is a play on my name. Christopher J so on another site, I was cj69. I was kinda doing a play on something with the 69 but nevermind. Then i got banned for something stupid so I reregistered on the site as jc96. It stuck. Stupid story but it is what it is. Ciao, jc

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Every male born with my last name that plays hockey ; and even some that never played gets nicknamed "goat' . Called that all through grammar and high school and still even my hockey guys call me that at 55 years old. Added the 's' on the end for my Fijian buddy who always called me GOATS

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Del is ... well, Del, short for Delmont. Oldsmobile named a car after my father, of the same name (as his father before him).

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Many moons ago (better make that Suns), I was at a party and saw a guitar standing lonely in a corner of the room. Picked it up, tuned it up and started playing along with the tunes that were on. A friend comes over and says, "Wow. You're some kind of jammer." So the nickname Jammer was born. Years later, I invited the friend who coined Jammer to what was then my 40th birthday party. "FORTY!?!", he says. "Wow, you 'ol fart. Now we're gonna have to call you papajam".
That was 21 years ago.
Today.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A very happy 41st birthday to you sir!

:)

My internet/BB name is, well, my outernet surname.

Gausie
Checking his and your math do I get 61 not 41 and either way Happy Birthday papajam.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Yes, Happy Birthday PapaJam!!
May you have many more productive and rewarding days to come. Stick around my man, we need you!

(didn't we used to get notification of members birthdays?)

Bill. As in Bill. Short for Bill.
I was the 1st to choose Bill here at the BB so I didn't need other stuff added. Bill.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, Happy Birthday PapaJam!!
May you have many more productive and rewarding days to come. Stick around my man, we need you!

(didn't we used to get notification of members birthdays?)

Bill. As in Bill. Short for Bill.
I was the 1st to choose Bill here at the BB so I didn't need other stuff added. Bill.
Bill I played well with others at Del Mar College 69-70 so was a long time ago when I lived in Corpus Christi on Breezeway Ave.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Part of a sales pitch from an Irish fella trying to sell an Alfa to a college aquaintance...

"She's a real Spitfire!"

Always stuck with me, and it's true for the 164 in all respects.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I love Alfa's and I was once the #1 ranked Tango dancer in the world.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Wow, this is a great thread:) Pretty interesting stories.
When I signed up, I noted another Richard who used a different user name. He's pretty knowledgeable, so I didn't want people getting my babbling mixed up with his intelligence, so I used Richard2.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
There's a right way and a wrong way to install an Alfa distributor. On older Alfas the distributor drive has a key that is slightly offset and is supposed to align with the offset slot in the shaft driven by the oil pump. This is easy to get wrong because with little effort you can force the misaligned key to fit in the drive slot. Doing this puts the distributor exactly 180 degrees out of alignment.

I did just this fast a dirty fix on my wife's 750 Giulietta spider. One day, it just quit. Investigation showed that my carelessness had placed the aged shaft of the Lucas distributor under strain---for who knows how many miles---until it gave in to metal fatigue and snapped. Fortunately, it quit with me driving and not my wife who used the spider as her daily driver. I walked home, picked up another distributor, walked back and fixed the problem. Only this time I made sure to get the drive key and slot properly aligned. Problem solved.

Then, I recalled a lesson from my friend and superb Alfa mechanic, Bob Fernald: never install an Alfa distributor in the 180 degree out position. Yes, it'll work, but sooner or later it won't. It only goes in one way that's right.

It's actually very easy to make this kind of mistake. You know you've gotten it wrong if the newly installed distributor feels a little loose. Properly fitted with drive key and slot properly aligned, the distributor's fit is noticeably more solid.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Pretty obvious, but I should add: the one that puts the bigger smile on my face is listed first. (Don't tell the guys on the Planet 9 board.)

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Do we need to ask? Happy B.D. Papajam, you're a valuable asset. You helped me put an Alfetta Dash in a GTV-6. Many others here are as well are assets. 30+ years driving these cars, nothing matches, no matter what model you desire. Hence ALFASRULE! Best ride ever got 2 more, can only post 5
Surprized it wasn't taken!

Pumpkin.jpg

Da Fetta.jpg

RaceCar.jpg

Spider.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Italcarnut. Italian car nut. Love all Italian cars. They are very much like women. Good times. Bad times. Love them anyway.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Mine is an homage to the late, great Jim Clark. When he started racing, he used "Rex Cars" an alias so his Mum wouldn't know.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
When I was the graphic designer for Litespeed/Merlin/Tomac/Quintana Roo bicycles, I had to share a cube with the copywriter, many of us crammed in one room at the time. He knew I liked Jazz music and one day he just started calling me ChazzyD. He had a clever nickname for many people at work and mine stuck with me so I used it here when I made the switch from the AlfaDigest forum.
Charles

·
Registered
229 Posts
Zaid.
Mine is simply my real name. Really.
I know most people do not prefer using their true identity on the Web, but I prefer otherwise. ;)

Interesting to read about the names of the other guys here :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts