Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would seem there are those amongst us that never have and don't believe a spider is capable of such an easy feat, please just say "I have".

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't think a stock Spider is capable of it, nevermind is it a wise thing to do. I'd say a stock Spider in good shape could push 120 or so, at 6000 RPM. Maybe a little bit more with a tail wind!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
if memory servers for my car the book called for 111MPH I never tested that.
at lest while looking the the speedometer. but if you have a hardtop it should go a lot faster.
the soft top has very bad aerodynamics.
also there if a big difference in gears too.
I know I have went to the 8000RPM range in 4th but never shifted to 5th. ran out of road.
and this was a long time ago. before there was a cop every 100ft with a speed gun.
I remember the valve noise was very very loud (car was stock then)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not that it is safe but I have ran low 120's in my commute from Boise to Sacramento the few times that I have driven it.

This was through the flat Nevada country north of Winnemucca. Only issues I have had was lost chunks of the guibo one trip and dented the hell out of the nose hitting a jack rabbit on another.

I replaced the speedo with one from a 1978 140mph due to the original failing and had it recalibrated... I have found that the 1982 that I have loves to run at 100-105...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've gone 135KPH in my '64 Spider. The fastest I have ever been on the street was on hwy 395 in Central Calif on my way to Bishop. I was driving my dad's '62 Rambler American. I was hitting the mile markers every 35 seconds. Not 135MPH but thrilling just the same.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sure it's possible. First, find a shear cliff with a vertical drop of at least a thousand feet. Second, fill trunk with lead. Third, shove......

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Check with the crew at Besic Motors.........

·
Registered
288 Posts
These care were never meant to be driven at these speeds - in stock form anyway. I honestly could not imagine even attempting to do something like this and have to wonder about those who would even consider this. As much as I love these cars, they are not a Porsche or Ferrari (forgive me for this)

Adding my 2 cents - abuse of the car is most likely why you (Douglas) are experiencing so many major issues with your car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went 85 once on the way from Houston to Austin on I 10! I was young and poorer and was worried about a ticket(the limit had just recently been raised to 70 from 55-what year did that happen) as far as 135 MPH in a stock Spider, dont think its happening.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
DD,
You need your head examined...

As for 135MPH, you are dreaming in technicolor. To achieve this you would have to go more than 6000rpm in 5th gear. This fact is from the alfa factory spec literature I have for USA spec Spiders.

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
351 Posts
Again a earnest question met with some reasoned answers and....unfortunately...the now usual acerbic few who seem to have a limited vocabulary and even less patience.
ARDEN

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'd like to know that myself

Attachments

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
135 Alfa

Hold on now, I have seen it done. Here's proof............

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Think it's time for me to bow out.... I don't know what acerbic means.

p.s. On behalf of DD - I have no doubt he means 135 Km not mph.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Distortion

Or it simply could be the distortion caused by Doug's bio-hazard suit...:D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:eek: 120 for me before I had to back off cause of front-end lift:(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're an idiot, and a waste of bandwidth.
And again, you claim to be an Alfa Romeo lover. As I was taught, everyone is good for something, even if it is a bad example. You are the shining star for a bad example. Please kids, don't ever do things like him!

1 - 20 of 543 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.