Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how to delete a thread? This one doesn't have much use anymore, other than advice. Feel free to PM me some advice, though.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I drove my $700 Milano for a year, other than fixing the fan relay, no probs.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I drove my $700 Milano for a year, other than fixing the fan relay, no probs.
Don't encourage him. ;) I probably shouldn't mention my $300 164 that I drove all over creation, in style. I had to get in through the window cause the door handles were broken, but it was fun. Then I graduated to using a wrench to open the door from the inside.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully I'll have better luck with my first Alfa than my first two cars. Haha I'll never buy American again

·
Registered
837 Posts
I traded another car for my Spider; no cash exchanged at all! With the economy the way it is, a lot of people are doing trades.

National craigslist.org "Advanced Search" listings, key words: Alfa Romeo Trade:

alfa romeo trade site:craigslist.org - Google Search

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help, but at the moment, Tulsa is a little too far away.

I would see if I could trade something of mine, but all I have is a (not very good) guitar and amp. I think my new plan is to find myself a nice Geo Metro or something, and find a job and save some money. I probably should have thought of that before inposted this thread, since I cant figure out how to delete it now that it's redundant haha

But the advice is always welcome

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
keep looking--you never know when the gods/fate/karma/luck/etc may smile on you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, guys.

In fact, someone just emailed me about an Alfa around my price range. It's a really nice car. After I get the money together and I find a ride to their place, I'll make it happen

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started with a 56 Austin Healey 100-S. Loved that dam car, but my old man decided he hated it obscuring the top of the driveway, so he called and had it towed away. (Did I mention he had no business sense?) Of course that was about 1966. The car was a a decent enough driver. I managed to get this topless dancer give it to me for $300. My old man went insane as I was in the middle of a head gasket change. Of course today, those babies go for around 50K. So, all I have these many years later is a love for Smiths guages, a burned right side shoe heel (the chassis ran right on top of the exhaust pipe) some technical things and a real hatred for "Lucas" the "Prince of Darkness".
I got through college driving an MG Midget. My ex-wife used to tell me that "MG" stood for "Mucho Gyp". Well I eventually wound up opening a foreign car repair and that led to owing everything in the world at least once. However, you never forget your true love and mine was a 69 Spyder Veloce.
The only real thing I can tell you is that if you hang onto your money, the day will come when you can pick and choose, because "cash talks and bull crap walks". Then, when your true love comes by, you will have the money to sweep her off her feet and buy her flowers. I can't remember the names of half my ex-wives, but I can talk Alfa with you in intimate detail.
Well, to all the other people here on this board, I enjoy your ramblings. Now, I am an old guy 63 and looking to buy another car to go with my current 90 XJ6 sedan.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Howdy

My vote for 'Most Entertaining First Post'.
Ok, gotta be top ten anyway.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just sold my 84 Spider project to a father & son for his first car project. I remember being there when I was 15!

The car is rough, but Dad knows his way around repairs. And the son was so pumped - I was excited for him. It felt great to give them a great deal. :D

Have patience. The right car will come along in your area.

Dickson

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Dragline, You know, it is funny how the knee bone connects to the ankle bone. My first car, given to me by my dad for getting good grades turned out to be a 57 Hillman Minx. Boy, what a let down that was. No power and slower than molasses on a cold day. Consequently, the only thing left for me to do was drive it like I was Jim Clark. Wearing off the sides of the tires and taking suicidal plunges through traffic (going downhill) where all I could get. Other kids were into drag racing and you sure weren't going drag racing in a Hillman. Although it is said that if you drove one off a cliff, you could get it up near 50 MPH. All this is to say that my thing for sports cars came from that Hillman. I was probably the only kid in town who could tell you who Mother Muller and the SCCA were.
It has been a great run for me. Along the way, I met old guys with 120 and drophead coupe Jags hidden in their back yards. I bought a 120 barn find that I never got together.
Then I raced a season with a guy running a mini. Also bought a Volvo 544 at one time. Great car. Later in life, I ran a VW and Porsche repair business, was a mechanic for Mickey Thompson for awhile, etc., About the best it got was being a second mechanic on a 962 #67 IMSA prototype (group C) for Jim Busby out of Laguna Beach ( I was fired from this job) There was a lot more, but that is enough bubble blowing for one day. It all goes back to that ugly old Hillman. The Prince of Darkness was always stalking me in that thing. Luckily, it had a hand crank and I could start it by winding up the crank. God help me if the engine was way out of tune.
Well, imagine my thrill when I got my first Alfa. That thing would fly. (or so I thought). One day, I was out of a ride with my roommate and we were coming down the mountain into Bear Lake Utah. A Mercedes sedan came in behind me. I was pouring the coal to my Alfa, but the Mercedes just sat there off my rear bumper. Finally, I got a look at the occupants in the Mercedes and what do I see, . . but some guy with his wife and two kids. Talk about an ego deflation . What was worse was that he was yaking it up with his wife and I doubt he was even pushing that Mercedes sedan. It wasn't too long after that that I was looking for more ponies for my true love. I hope this young guy finds his machine and gets to experience all those great things. The first time you sit behind that offset steering wheel and get to feel the front end over steer flinching under high speed acceleration, he will be hooked.

By the way, where is the BS thread so I am not junking up the classified?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
. . . By the way, where is the BS thread so I am not junking up the classified? . . .
Why do you ask? :p

Sounds that you have some great stories to share. The Thompson (drag racing at the time?) and the IMSA experiences are especially interesting.

Lots of general exchange going on here:
Anything about Alfa Romeos
Off-Topic Talk

The main forums page can be found here.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts