Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 Alfa GTV 6, and its been a dream besides one little problem that is annoying the crap out of me and making my car unfun to drive...

The throttle position sensor under the pedal is acting up. It is setting off the check engine light and making the car reve INCREDIBLY slow... It will still rev and drive its just sucks...

Well I got the code reset, but it came back
Pulled the sensor and at first it tested bad... tested it again it was good as well as the third time... ***????

So put it back in and all is fine and dandy until this morning on the way to work... the car stumbles and the light comes back on

*** Man???

This just sucks and the sensor is 500 Euro... stupid OEM FIAT parts.

Anywho, help would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
What exactly is your question? You tell us that "the sensor" is bad and costs EUR 500 to replace. What sensor? The MAF? And what "code" did you have reset?

Also, I assume you are talking about the 916-series GTV with a 3-liter Arese V6 in. Is that right?

Tell us what you want help with, and we will at least say we don't know ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is what the hell is going on???

How can this sensor all of a sudden go bad and be good at the same time????

I don't exactly what sensor or code but its the sensor that tells the throttle where it is... like what postion it is in and it underneath the pedal if that helps.

I don't know what series but it has the 3.0 liter in it... I am new to these Italian cars...

What do you got for me...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
lol this isnt a payed for public service so i doubt many people will respond to questions asked like that...

actually not many new model Alfa owners on here at all... there is a UK based forrum with mostly new Alfa owners that would be more helpful, sorry i dont have the link though.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
lol this isnt a payed for public service so i doubt many people will respond to questions asked like that...
I agree. Maybe if some people would offer up some $$$$, answers would appear a little quicker. I know I'd answer a little quicker if there was some monetary reward in it for me:cool:

;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok,Im busy with a 156 that has the same identical problem ..Bad hesitation when applying pedal movement and no response from the engine until you reach about 80% throttle..
Ive replaced the pedal input sensor to no avail.I now suspect something in the drive by wire t/body electronics.
When Ive found the problem Ill update here..
Barry

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thought about checking with the dealership, it may be a lot quicker, for them to put in on the diagnosis. Our 2001 Volvo was doing some strange things with the throttle and transmission. Took it to the dealer who right away said, it needs a software reinstall, they cleaned the throttle body loaded the software and the car has been great ever since... of course at the time I was swearing ... can't just have a throttle cable can we!

GV

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Its exactly these sort issues that many new cars have that put me off wanting a newer Alfa. Many used 156's are getting well under 15k now but unless i can buy a fault diagnostic machine for under $200 im not so interested.

Ill stick with my screwdrivers, spanners and a test light for now ;)

Actually i did try some of my own electrical fault diagnostics with my range rover. For some reason the power seats and mirrors would only work with the ignition off and the drivers door open.

After studying wiring diagrams and learning land rovers special keys and symbols to the wiring diagrams and after an hour looking through several kilometres of wires under the dash and seats i threw in the white flag.

I think auto electricians will have a very busy career ahead of them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you guys think the 147/156 is bad,wait for the Brera and 159..The electrickery in these is enough to scare the most fearless out there!

The diagnostics on the 156 simply says replace throttle potensiometer.Thats not the problem in this case,its now good old fault finding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...

The problem reared its ugly head in another way completely KILLING the car this weekend...

I took it in and it ended up being a faulty AFM??? *** man... it was replaced last summer....

Well shortly after I have it out again it kills and does the same thing again.. So I assume its the AFM again... I was right and it was a defective piece but more digging revealed a potential cause of this being a short Air Filter... possibly from a 2.0 Twin Spark...

Well That was replaced to and everything has been gravy...

A little side note hear is that my detailer destroyed my nineteens on the car... Used the wrong wheel cleaner and they are screwed up... So I am rim shopping now...LOL

What a cap to an exciting string of problems

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Im glad you found the problem, ive heard AFM's on newer cars are very sensitive, changing air filters can do strange things to due to the changes in air flow.

Also make sure the AFM body is siliconed in so its both air and water tight. I had an AFM cover on loose once on an L-jet V6 and some dust got in and it was making it run rough between a certain throttle position, cleaning inside the AFM and sealing it back up solved the problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A person I work had some accelerator problems last week. She stopped her 2003 Acura in the parking lot..The thing then revved to the red line, took off like a scalded cat and 'fortunately' got stuck between two concrete slabs before she wiped out most of the other vehicles in the vicinity.
She was kind of shaken and wanted to sue everyone in earshot until the garage that received the car discovered that her entire electrical system had been eaten away by rodents nesting under the hood.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As stated above,I said Id post my findings with the 156 and the very lethargic throttle.
In this instance I found that the wiring harness from the throttle potentiometer runs from the pedal behind the aircon unit and terminated in a 6 wire plug behind the cubby.(rhd car)The other end of this harness then goes off to the ecu harness..The problem lay with the connector plug.Bad continuity and buildup of gunk on the crimped connectors..
I cut this plug out and soldered the wires directly to one another and Viola!!
Problem solved!

Save this in the "potential cure" file somewhere..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Stack, you could go to the Dutch forum with questions such as yours. Use of english on the whole no problem. Try www.alfaclub.nl next time...
Go straight to the forum there, ask away..
As for rims? Try the 18inch RZ/SZ wheels, they are definitely the best... (normal SZ/RZ is 16 inches, but these were made and can be found....)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts