Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this 1989 spider, the car is in great shape and been sitting in a garage for 10+ years. I finally got the car to start but now it will not stay running. It’ll start easily but with only run for couple seconds. I changed the fuel filter and there seems to be plenty of fuel pressure when I too the filter off it strayed me pretty good. Still nothing. Also if I try to give it throttle it’ll just die right away. Please help

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I recently bought this 1989 spider, the car is in great shape and been sitting in a garage for 10+ years. I finally got the car to start but now it will not stay running. It’ll start easily but with only run for couple seconds. I changed the fuel filter and there seems to be plenty of fuel pressure when I too the filter off it strayed me pretty good. Still nothing. Also if I try to give it throttle it’ll just die right away. Please help
I have been trying to help this new member via Farcebook and told him to join up.
I am sure that between spiderserie4, ghnl, Jim G and others, we can sort this out.
Be warned, one of those people will ask you for more pictures if I am not mistaken.:LOL:
He has a good video showing what it does but not sure how to post it on here but I know it is done all the time. Anyone?

Reactions: 1989 Alfa R

·
Premium Member
22,781 Posts
Might be it's running on the cold start injector and not kicking in and running fully due to one of the relays not working, etc.. A couple folks here have links on their posts to the Bosch L-Jet manual with very good troubleshooting steps. Poke around, look in the fuel/carb forum for links to the L-Jet info.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Might be it's running on the cold start injector and not kicking in and running fully due to one of the relays not working, etc.. A couple folks here have links on their posts to the Bosch L-Jet manual with very good troubleshooting steps. Poke around, look in the fuel/carb forum for links to the L-Jet info.
Andrew
Andrew.Good point about the cold start injector
I think but am not sure that someone sent him a link to that via Farcebook. If not, I have it as does Eric

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
as Andrew says, running on cold start valve alone certainly sounds the most likely.....
Cold start injector is independant to the 4 injectors.

which means your injectors are likely not firing
if the car sat 10 years, I can imagine your injectors could be gummed up, but before condemming them, make sure they
a) are getting power and
b) are getting a pulse.

remove one of the injector connectors, then with KOEO (key on engine off) check for voltage at either side of connector....one side should be near on full battery voltage, the other side can be a little less...got voltage?
if you have voltage, then with a noid light check they pulse, whilst cranking....got a pulse?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
While you're verifying the injectors, also take a close look at the rubber flex hose that runs across the cam cover, and the short rubber hose by the throttle body. Check for cracks or splits that could be letting in air and upsetting the mixture. On a car that sat that long, the rubber could be toast by now. Check the security of the clamps that connect these rubber pieces also.
Get a can of spray electronics cleaner, like CRC, pull the connector off the airflow meter carefully. Spray both ends, and carefully reconnect the cable. Do the same with the coolant temperature sensor on the manifold, and the injector connector plugs.
Then get back to us here on the results. I presume you have a clean air filter in the box, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,667 Posts
I assisted by making the thread's title more descriptive. Just saying "Please help" isn't a great way to attract people's interest.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Andrew.Good point about the cold start injector
I think but am not sure that someone sent him a link to that via Farcebook. If not, I have it as does Eric

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
Pictures? Did someone mention pictures? Pictures help us diagnosis your car - that way we don't wonder about the vital details like what color is it, etc...

Link to the DIY L-jetronic Diagnosis is in my signature. You may need to click the down arrow to see the whole signature. L-jet is a system - all the bits have to work properly for it to work.

That it starts but doesn't stay running means you have ignition and some fuel but probably not continuing fuel. The fuel pumps (there are two) only get power under two conditions; 1) the engine is running and B) the key is in the 'start' position. The Cold Start System (CSS) is stand-alone (not under computer control). It might be starting via the CSS but that is only one injector and is probably not enough by itself to get the engine started. I think it is more likely it is starting with the fuel supplied when the key is in the start position but not continuing to run because the drive relay is not keeping the fuel pumps powered up. The drive relay needs to get a tachymetric signal via a sense wire at the coil to 'know' the engine is running. So check all the connections at the coil (meaning remove, clean and secure them). If still no joy, you can bypass the drive relay by fashioning a jumper between terminals 87 & 30 where the drive relay plugs in. If it then starts & runs, the drive relay is faulty. I suggest you buy a real Bosch drive relay (not inexpensive, sorry) because the drive relay also functions as a safety device to cut power to the fuel pumps if the engine should stall (as in an accident). There are other relays that will fit but do not provide this safety provision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won’t let me upload a video. But I just found these connectors all crusty and it crumbled as soon as touched it. Any idea if it could be the issue. I’m not even really sure what they are for. I ordered new relays and hopefully they’ll come soon. Also just to make sure these are the relays right?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I won’t let me upload a video. But I just found these connectors all crusty and it crumbled as soon as touched it. Any idea if it could be the issue. I’m not even really sure what they are for. I ordered new relays and hopefully they’ll come soon. Also just to make sure these are the relays right? View attachment 1668536 View attachment 1668534 View attachment 1668535
Not 100% sure from the photos. Where does the other end of the crumbly connection go? Could be to your crank position sensors which if bad would stop the car from running.
They are on the bell housing and can be seen from underneath on the passenger side.

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
The relays visible in the first photo are for the A/C. The relays for the FI system are next to the FI computer - under the shelf behind the seats. BTW, there are two computers - the ignition computer is under the right side panel behind the door opening. And one of them will be labeled 'Motronic' but I assure you the system is L-jetronic.

I think the connectors visible in the second photo are for the flywheel sensors. There are two, they are identical but must be connected to the wire harness correctly. The wire harness connectors are grey & black. Black to the upper sensor, grey to the lower.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Not 100% sure from the photos. Where does the other end of the crumbly connection go? Could be to your crank position sensors which if bad would stop the car from running.
They are on the bell housing and can be seen from underneath on the passenger side.
I'd say you are spot on there Greg (and Eric)
looks like the black and the grey crank position sensor connectors up by the water bottle
sensors1.JPG

.......no way those old crumbly wires are going to last much longer, if they haven't given up the ghost already.

and btw. the photo of the relays that is all over the BB since years...
this one:
fuel relays ljet.jpg
is not correctly captioned....that relay on top with the large gauge red wires is surely the main relay and the one underneath is the drive/fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The relays visible in the first photo are for the A/C. The relays for the FI system are next to the FI computer - under the shelf behind the seats. BTW, there are two computers - the ignition computer is under the right side panel behind the door opening. And one of them will be labeled 'Motronic' but I assure you the system is L-jetronic.

I think the connectors visible in the second photo are for the flywheel sensors. There are two, they are identical but must be connected to the wire harness correctly. The wire harness connectors are grey & black. Black to the upper sensor, grey to the lower.
View attachment 1668556
View attachment 1668557

View attachment 1668559
Thank you! This helped a lot, I’ll have to check the relays and clean them when I get home so and see maybe that would help

·
Administrator
17,701 Posts
this one:
View attachment 1668564
is not correctly captioned....that relay on top with the large gauge red wires is surely the main relay and the one underneath is the drive/fuel.
You may be correct. IIRC, the drive relay is the larger of the two.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I'd say you are spot on there Greg (and Eric)
looks like the black and the grey crank position sensor connectors up by the water bottle
View attachment 1668561

.......no way those old crumbly wires are going to last much longer, if they haven't given up the ghost already.

this one:
View attachment 1668564
Good catch. I never noticed.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I won’t let me upload a video. But I just found these connectors all crusty and it crumbled as soon as touched it. Any idea if it could be the issue. I’m not even really sure what they are for. I ordered new relays and hopefully they’ll come soon. Also just to make sure these are the relays right? View attachment 1668536 View attachment 1668534 View attachment 1668535
Now that I can see better (not on a smart phone), those connectors are shot. You could ohm out the sensor side to see if they are good and but some new Bosch connectors but long term, I think I would replace them both. I have had to do that on a couple of L-Jetronic Alfas and Porsches that have sat for a while

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank everyone for their help, the car is now running, I think there was just bad fuel in the line, i when to bridge the relay and it popped a old fuel line right after the filter and a ton a fuel came out(I wasn’t paying attention to it) and the I got a new fuel line. Hooked it up and now the car runs great!!! Thank everyone! Thank you! I’ve always thought the Vdub community was the best, but you guys are freaking awesome!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts