Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got here a 87 milano and have wondered some time if its a platinum or not..any way of being able to verify it?....every platinum ive seen has the same gut..but i simply dont know the alfa stuff well enuf to be able to verify it

·
Registered
707 Posts
Off the top of my head:

Platinum's have alcantara leather interiour, ABS brakes, LSD, lighted vanity mirror and electric seat backs. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see mine has all of that...but ive yet to verify the LSD.....i drove the car off the trailer and thats it..

needs cam seals and a new rack and somethings screwy with the ABS....but i got it for well..free and have it slated to become a parts car for an odd little project

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I don't know the trim level particulars but I'd think that the most accurate way to tell would be the chassis number.

1987 Platinum - 161160.00025011-00025033 and then starting again at 162830.00025034.

1987 Gold - 161160.00050011-00050025 and then starting again at 162830.00050025.

1987 Silver - 161160.00001011-00001018 and then starting again at 162830.00075019.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If it has the stuff listed by Don, even if you cannot verify the LSD (which could be shot by now), and it has the white gauges, no verde body kit, then you surely have a Platinum. Unless, of course, someone did some major changing somewhere along the way...
Jes

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Platinum's have alcantara leather interiour
The Platinum interior is leather with real suede inserts, not Alcantara.

Alcantara is a trademarked name for synthetic suede.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sooo where is the chassis # stashed at?

complete interior checks out as a platinum as well as being fully optioned out and yeah 140mph white guages 100k miles..must admit i do love the suede inserts..its a nice touch

obviously the transaxle could have been swaped out..but if it "is" a platinum it raises my chances of the trans haveing the LSD unit.....are the LSD units rebuildable if shot?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes, the LSD can be rebuild if shot and lock-up can be increased from about 25% (stock) to 50% by doubling the number of discs.
Jes

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Platinum interior is leather with real suede inserts, not Alcantara.

Alcantara is a trademarked name for synthetic suede.
Really? I had always read that it was Alcantara. Oh well, I was misinformed! I have worn out verde seats in my platinum anyway.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
COOL it does pop up as a platinum....too bad its fate is more or less sealed as a doner for my project(no its more or less rust free)...unless someones got a rusty one around to trade lol..oregon

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where are you located? If you use it as a donor car, I may be interested in some parts (for my platinum)

Don

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im 15 mins west of portland oregon

all i plan to use from the car is the entire suspension engine, transaxle, and the mounts in the body itself for the suspension ect....probably the guage cluster and wireing and "maybe" the front seats but i doubt it..as well as a few switches.....NONE of the body will be used so it will be up for grabs befor the end of the year...got plasma cutter and will gladly cut out patch panel sections for anyone too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts