Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question appeared on another forum, but I am curious about it, too:

"We're working on a 58 veloce motor and need some guidance on what plating was used on the head nuts, engine lift bracket, block off plate, engine hardware, etc. Was it zinc based or nickel plating. Phosphate ?
Thanks, in advance."

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
459, I'm not as sure about the 58 Veloce engines as I am about later 101, both 1300 and 1600. Send me an e-mail an I will advise.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Chroming everything in sight was a Hoffman embellishment, mainly for the West Coast to counter the 'bling' on the Porsche's of the same period. Its definitely not representative of every Giulietta.

Its your car and you can choose what you want, however plain Nickel plating was superceeded by chrome in 1930

On those cars that didn't get the Hoffman chrome treatment, the hardware was plated, today either silver cadmium or bright zinc will do the job.

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I agree with Greig that Hoffman must have ordered the cars with chrome plating and my car which was order by an American in Switzerland and imported into the US did not have chrome plated hardware. The cylinder bolts, washers and valve cover fasteners were black oxide. The engine strap was either clear cad or zinc plated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts