Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my '89 S3 had a blown marker bulb in the front driver's side.

When I went to remove the cover I noticed that it was held with plastic screws. I could tell they were plastic by the way they crumbled as soon as the screwdriver touched them!:cursing::cursing::cursing:

Anyone have any experience on the best way to remove disintegrating (but of course still holding strong!!) plastic screws?

and

What would be the best (preferably metal) screws to replace them with?

Thanks in advance-M5

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
The same thing happen to me.
They have broke inside the lenses, so I had to drill out the remnants.
I then replaced them all with stainless cap screws.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had to drill a couple out but replaced them with the plastic screws, from Alfaholics or ClassicAlfa, I don't recall which.

I used silicon grease when I put them in to try to avoid them sticking again.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I had to drill a couple out but replaced them with the plastic screws, from Alfaholics or ClassicAlfa, I don't recall which.

I used silicon grease when I put them in to try to avoid them sticking again.
I basically did the same thing that AngloSpider did:

After I carefully drilled out the remnants of the center portion of the broken-off plastic screw (so as to not contact or damage the metal female threads), there were still some pieces the plastic threads stuck in the metal retaining nut threads, so I had to carefully pry those out with a small metal pick tool (like a dentist would have). Once I had the female retainer threads sufficiently clear of plastic, I carefully and gently chased them with the proper sized metric tap (M5 or M6? - can't recall now).

Anyway, I sourced some new plastic bolts online (they come in both clear and amber colors, and different lengths for different models or lenses) and then I painted a little silver "anti-seize" on the threads before re-attaching the lenses.

So far, so good, but I wish I could come up with new rubber seals for these turn signal lens fixtures. Mine are pretty shot!

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Norseman50 they are M6, I had the same problem and did the drilling out trick. I replaced them with stainless steel stove bolts from Home Hardware, but I kept the metal bits so I can properly fix it with new plastic screws in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Centerline has them If you don't want to order them from overseas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts